video: 2016 Portland Auto Show
Thursday, January 28, 2016
The 2016 show promises to raise the bar in nearly every area. The doors open to the public at 10:00 am on Thursday and if past experience is an indicator, there should be big lines. Portland isn’t expected to face East Coast snowstorms as it did a couple years ago.
There is definitely something for everyone at the show. It includes Ride and Drives with a record 12 different events. The most exciting and challenging will be the Land Rover Discovery Sport Experience which offers attendees the hands-on experience of real off-roading in the city. Land Rover of Portland has designed an off-road course in the middle of the plaza across the street from the convention center. There, participants will get to drive with Land Rover off road instructors. The course won’t push the amazing new Discover Sport to its limits but it will still offer quite the challenge.
Other activities besides the amazing sheet metal and technology on display include the Luxury Lofts where the luxury brands such as Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and others reside; the Tech Center where guests can see how close we are to autonomous cars and what other amazing tech features are available on regular production vehicles and Race Garage showcasing true horsepower with race cars and motorcycles.
There are events throughout for the entire family. Trailblazer Kids Clinics will have specialists on hand for 30-minute sessions of fun with Trailblazer alumni and teaching staff. The Holladay Street Lobby officially becomes the kids zone during the PIAS. Face painting, tattoos, balloon artists and more will great kids of all ages.
If that wasn’t enough enticement to go to the show, the will be a New Car Giveaway. Sponsored by the Metro New Car Dealers Association, attendees can enter a drawing to win a new 2016 Toyota Prius. On Sunday, one of four finalists will win the car.
-Dodge Charger Hellcat, Chrysler Pacifica HD (just unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show), Jeep Africa concept vehicle
-I8, M3, M4 Coupe, M4 Convertible, M5, M6 Coupe, M6 Convertible, M6GC, 750 Individual, XM5
From Ford / Lincoln:
-2017 Ford Fusion, 2017 Lincoln MKZ, 2017 Ford Focus RS, 2017 Ford Super Duty, 2017 Ford Escape, 2017 Lincoln Continental
From General Motors:
-Buick Envision, Cadillac ATS-V (one of 99 made), Chevy Corvette ZO6, Chevy Volt, GMC Canyon Diesel
-Hyundai Tucson Adventuremobile SEMA vehicle
-Kia Sorento PacWest Adventure SEMA vehicle
-Mercedes S Maybach, Mercedes GTS, Mercedes B-250e (electric), Metris (Utility Van)
-Toyota Back to the Future Tacoma (one of only 3 made)
-2017 Volkswagen Dune Beetle, 2017 Golf Sportwagon Alltrack, Volkswagen Scott Beetle
Jeff Fishback, show director, also mentioned several special, automotive related activities that patrons will enjoy. The Autobots Optimus Prime and Galvatron from the Tranformers 4 movie will make an appearance at the show, with a life-sized Optimus Prime available for photos.
Also, in the Ferrari exhibit, you’ll be able to get behind the wheel of a Ferrari California T Roadster for a photo. Come early, as the lines are sure to be long for this one. This rare opportunity is courtesy of Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo.
For tickets and more information, watch the video below check out the Portland Auto Show website.
Related Slideshow: The 10 Oregon Counties With the Most Car Theft
Be careful parking your car if you live in one of these Oregon counties. GoLocalPDX in partnership with FindtheBest found Oregon's top 10 counties with the highest rates of car theft.
- Vroom Vroom! Portland International Auto Show Pulls In to Convention Center
- The Cars of the Stars at the Portland International Auto Show
- Detroit Auto Show Highlights Find Their Way To Portland
- Portland Man Steals Car After Breaking Into House
- Portland Streetcar Plans Station Closures
- Portland Fire and Rescue Responds to Rail Car Fire
- Portland Designer Fashions Oscar Gown for Cheryl Strayed
- Oscar Lopez Brings His Mermaid Inspired Collection to the Spring 2015 Runway
- Oscarlandia? Oscar Winners and Nominees with Ties To Oregon
- Portland Crashes Allstate’s List of 25 Worst U.S. Cities for Car Accidents
- Ready-to-Wear Couture: Oscar Lopez, PFW Emerging Designer Winner
- Roy Jay: A Used Car May Cost You Three Times The Purchase Price
- Three Car Crash Kills 2, Including A 12-Year-Old Girl
- Updated: Portland Police Chase Car of Washington Murder Suspect, Lose Him
- Why Car Manufacturers Should Install Breathalyzers in New Vehicles
- The 25 Portland Metro Area Communities With the Highest Car Insurance Rates
- The 15 Most Fuel-Efficient Car Brands
- Study Finds 93 Percent of Oregon Families Misuse Infant Car Seats
- Ten Things To Do In the Case of a Car Accident
- Oregon to Subsidize Electric Car Charging Stations For State Workers
- Happy Birthday, Mazda Miata: The Little Car That Did
- Holiday Gift Ideas for The Car Lover in Your Life
- Is Getaround the Uber of Car Sharing?
- Driver of Stolen Car Killed in Crash with Sheriff’s Office Vehicle
- Car Thief Arrested After Slamming into Two Police Cars
- Apple is Getting into the Car Business
- Car Kills Two Horses in Washington County
- Car Smashes into Portland Police Bureau Cruiser
- LAIKA’s Designer Talks about Costumes for Oscar Nominated Boxtrolls
- Millennials and Generation X Commuting Less by Car in Portland
- Oregon Counties With the Most Car Theft
- Oregon Start-Up and BMW Team Up on Traffic Light Car Feature
- One Dead After Two-Car Crash in Douglas County
- NEW: Oscar Nominations Include Three With Ties to Oregon
- New Survey Says Portland Streetcar “Critical Piece of the City’s Transportation”
- New World of Speed Car Museum Opens in Wilsonville
- 24-Year-Old Woman Arrested on 93 Charges in West Coast Car Crushing Investigation