Portlanders Among Most Likely to Have a Hangover on New Year’s Day
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Portland came in at number 10 in the a study by Trulia. That likely hangover is spurred by the city’s ranking at number four on the list of cities most likely to party hard. When they need to aide that headache or upset stomach, Portlanders are in luck. The city was the 14th best place to recover from a hangover, according to Trulia.
The study was conducted by remaining neighborhood amenities data on Trulia’s site, which was compiled via data from Yelp. They examined which cities have the most breweries, bars, and general nightlife per 10,000 households. They also layered the data with the highest number of comfort food restaurants and drugstores to form their “Hangover Index.”
San Francisco, California will have the worst hangover, according to Trulia, followed by Boston, Massachusetts and Las Vegas, Nevada. San Francisco is also the most likely to “party hard”, followed by Las Vegas and New Orleans, Louisiana.
The best hangover cures can be found in the Northeast, according to the study. Worcester, Massachusetts, New Haven, Connecticut and Cambridge, Massachusetts lead the way in the hangover recovery category.
Related Slideshow: Ten New Beers You Should Try
Sometimes change is good. Try some of these new, rotating 2015 beers.
Oakshire brewing company has released the newest installment in its Berliner Weisse collection this year. This German-inspired sour beer has been historically sweetened with creative syrups, and today this still rings true. The newest addition to the Berliner Weisse family is the Oakshire Cucumber, which includes a (you guessed it) cucumber zest. Expect a good amount of foam, and a good amount of flavor.
Also from Oakshire brewing (an Oregon brewery) comes the Oakshire Gose to 11. Released on draft and in cans, Oakshire Gose is a pale, gold beer that’s lightly fruity. This Oakshire Gose is a wheat ale with a taste that hints of salt and it's also marketed as a compromise between light and smooth.
From Anchor brewing company in California, here is a fresh winner with a high alcohol content for all double IPA loyalists. An amber beer with a tropical flare, the Anchor Double Liberty is an IPA with a citrus edge. With an appropriate amount of carbonation as well as being hoppy with a trace of pine, the Anchor Double Liberty is a unique package – perfect for IPA fans who believe they have seen it all.
Fortunately for beer fans, hops are one of the few crops that have been growing right on schedule this year. With a sweet taste similar to a vanilla latte, the Ballast Point Calm Before the Storm is the first in a series of beers in alignment with Victory at Sea, their imperial importer. Perfect for warm weather (hailing from San Diego), the Calm Before the Storm is a light-bodied golden cream ale that incorporates cold-brewed Caffe Calabria Coffee.
Believe it or try to deny it, fall is upon us. Elysian is releasing its Night Owl pumpkin ale –brewed with seven and a half pounds of pumpkin per barrel and seasoned with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. This seasonal pumpkin ale will be available from August through October and is a pale, crystal malt beer. Also, both roasted and raw pumpkin seeds are engrained in the mash. Halloween, here we come.
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. traveled to Germany this year in order to partner up with Augsburg’s Brauhaus Riegele to create their first Oktoberfest beer. A sweet malt beer, the Oktoberfest collaboration beer lives up to its season: it is crisp, refreshing, and there are hints of caramel. If this isn't enough, look for a slight walnut flavor in the aftertaste.
Ninkasi Brewing Company, the Eugene-based craft beer producing elite, have unveiled a new beer that defies gravity. Literally. Who needs NASA when Ninkasi has their very own NSP (Ninkasi Space Program), which set out to accomplish an ultimate goal about a year ago: get brewer's yeast to space and return it to Earth so that it can be utilized it in Ninkasi's very own craft beer. In terms of taste, this beer is out of this world: the Imperial Stout is brewed with Oregon hazelnuts, star anise, cocoa nibs and is fermented with an Ale yeast. Ninkasi has apparently won its very own space race.
Hard cider is making a comeback, becoming surprisingly competitive with beer. Indeed, with popularity often comes increased room for creativity. Take, for example, apricot cider: a rare, but worthwhile breed. In fact, there may only be one cider company who has really nailed their own recipe for apricot cider, the key being fresh Yakima peach juice and local Hood River apples. Atlas Cider Company, based out of Bend, Oregon, has mastered fruity, dry ciders, and their dry apricot cider is no exception -- expect this cocktail cider to impress.
Blue Moon is perhaps best known as that beer that gets you into beer. However, it is also a regular distributor of limited release and seasonal flavors that are fairly inventive. This time, look out for their oatmeal stout entitled Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout, which is brewed from cocoa and decaffeinated coffee.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
Atwater Brewing Company is releasing a beer that should satisfy your booze and your Starbucks cravings with their Pumpin Spice Latte IPA. This fall, Atwater has your back with this special blend of vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon nutmeg and coffee. This rich red beer will remind you that life is still ok when you are too old to trick-or-treat. Also, note the reasonable alcohol percentage below.
- Party Report: Portland Film Festival Opening Night After-Party
- Party Report: Portland Film Festival Opening Night and Party
- Party Report: Portland Art Museum’s “Italian Style” Fashionable Opening Parties
- Party Report: Portland Actors Conservatory “Verona Nights” at Benson Hotel
- Party Report: PICA’s TADADA Gala & After-Party
- Party Report: Picnic Book Launch Party at Olympia Provisions
- Party Report: Portland Gay Men’s Chorus ABBAQueen Pre-Function and Concert
- Party Report: Portland Meadows Opening Day
- Party Report: Public Invited to “Fun” Board Meeting at Director Park
- Party Report: QDoc Opening Night With Game Face & Jason Collins
- Party Report: President Obama In Portland at Sentinel Hotel
- Party Report: Portland’s Clown Wedding of the Century
- Party Report: Portland Opera Gala Raises Nearly One Million Dollars
- Party Report: Patrick Lamb Video Premiere Party
- Party Report: Our House Gala Raises Over Half-Million at PAM
- Party Report: Opening Night of PCS’s Dreamgirls
- Party Report: Oregon Actors Awards at BodyVox
- Party Report: Olympic Provisions Celebrates 5th Anniversary
- Party Report: Northwest Film Center’s Opening Night for PDX International Film Fest
- Party Report: Nicky USA Celebrates 25th Anniversary
- Party Report: Nike 2015 #BETRUE Pride Kick-Off Celebration
- Party Report: Oregon Ballet Theatre’s 25 at Keller
- Party Report: Oregon Ballet Theatre’s Cinderella Ball
- Party Report: Oregon Truffle Festival at World Forestry Center
- Party Report: Oregon Wine Symposium After Party At Bluehour
- Party Report: Oregon Through The Decades Dance Party at OHS
- Party Report: Oregon Symphony After Party At Lauderdale’s Loft
- Party Report: Oregon Governor’s Film Awards
- Party Report: RACC Celebrates With “In the Garden of Artistic Delights”
- Party Report: Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern Appear at Portland “Wild” Premiere
- Scott Bruun: Oregon’s Path Away From One Party Rule
- REVIVE: An 80’s Dance Party Benefitting Music Education
- Portland Parks Volunteer Work Party Returns
- Portland Mountain Bikers: Ride and Party at Trailfest 2014
- Portland Opera Celebrates 50 Years with Gala and After Party
- Spotted In Portland: GZA at evo Opening Party in SE Portland
- Taste Dundee Block Party Kicks Off Oregon Wine Month
- Uber Hosting Portland Launch Party
- The American Local to Host Four-Part Dinner Party
- The 4th Annual NE 30th and Killingsworth Block Party
- Tender Loving Empire Unveils Second Location with Grand Opening Party
- Portland Meadows To Host Kentucky Derby Party
- Portland kicks off Pride Parade with FLARE Party
- Party Report: Symphony’s Showalter Feted at Gentleman-Callers Dinner
- Party Report: The Goonies Weekend in Astoria, Oregon
- Party Report: Storm Large at Rumble On the River V
- Party Report: Roche Bobois Grand Opening
- Party Report: Renata’s Preview Party in Southeast Portland
- Party Report: Robin Lopez, GRIMM Cast, & Famous Authors At Mayday App Launch
- Party Report: The Oregon Symphony Honors Gala
- Party Report: Thomas Lauderdale & Friends Holiday Sing-A-Long
- Pong Party FUNdraiser To Benefit Neighborhood House
- Portland Brand All Bad Days, Celebrates New Spring Line With Launch Party
- Party Report: VIP Event Launches John Gorham’s Plaza Del Toro
- Party Report: Unico Properties Celebrate Unveiling of “New” U.S. Bancorp Tower
- Party Report: Uber Launch Party at Jacobsen Salt Co.
- Party Report: Negroni Social at Jacobsen Salt Co.
- Party Report: Morel Ink and PICA Holiday Parties
- Party Report/Feast Portland: Weekend Round-Up
- Party Report: 1st Thursday at PNCA’s new Pearl District Home
- Party Report/Feast Portland: Sandwich Invitational & Pork of Ages
- Party Like a Pirate at the Swashbuckler’s Ball
- Nau and Adorn Pop Up Shop Launch Party
- NEW: Democratic Party Accuses Dennis Richardson of Taking Campaign Kickbacks
- Party Report: 4th Annual Taste of Temple at Castaway in Northwest Portland
- Party Report: Ain’t Misbehavin’ Benefit for German American School
- Party Report: BodyVox’s Hair Ball Dances Night Away in Northwest PDX
- Party Report: Bounty of Yamhill County at Sokol Blosser Winery
- Party Report: Basic Rights Oregon’s “Ignite” at Art Museum
- Party Report: Back To The Garden With Pink Martini & Friends
- Party Report: Albertina Kerr Community Awards Luncheon With Storm Large
- Majority of U.S. Adults Say a Third Political Party Is Needed
- K-12 Schools Budget Passes Oregon House on Party-Line Vote
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: Your Holiday Party
- Donald Trump Announces Allegiance to Republican Party
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: Why Women Don’t Ask for Help + Engagement Party Etiquette
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: Forget Office Party Guidelines
- Avoiding Last Thursday: Five Alternatives to the Monthly NE Alberta Street Party
- Cycle Oregon Kick Off Party at Portland Art Museum
- Early Risers Set World Record for Biggest Breakfast in Bed Party
- Ecliptic Brewing to Kick Off Memorial Day Weekend with Star Party
- Independent Party of Oregon Qualifies for May 2016 Elections
- Italy in December: A Dance Party Benefitting Transition Projects
- Grand Opening Party at Portland Boutique Adorn
- GoLocalPDX ‘25 New Cool People’ Party Highlights
- Election Complaint Filed Against GOP by Libertarian Party Chairman
- Party Report: Bridgetown Barber Society Grand Opening
- Party Report: Camp Fire 5th Annual Celebrity & Youth Talent Show
- Party Report: Holiday Trunk Show at Hair M/W
- Party Report: Hotel Eastlund Gala Grand Opening Event
- Party Report: GRIMM Cast at No Kid Hungry Dinner at Irving St. Kitchen
- Party Report: Grand Opening for the Parker Building
- Party Report: Gina Noell’s Very Merry Holiday Soiree
- Party Report: GoLocalPDX Top 25 New Cool Party at Spirit of 77
- Party Report: Hotel Vintage Portland Grand Opening
- Party Report: HRC Gala at Lewis & Clark College
- Party Report: Luepke Center Celebrates Older Americans with Senior Prom
- Party Report: Mississippi Street Fair Draws Thousands to North Portland
- Party Report: LGBTQ Fundraiser for John Kitzhaber
- Party Report: Laurel Hook’s Totally Awesome Birthday “Prom”