College Counseling: Great Co-op Colleges
Saturday, September 13, 2014
University of Cincinnati, Ohio, www.uc.edu
- The nation's largest and oldest Experiential Learning program, comprising 3,000 students in forty professional-practice options (UC has 22,000 undergraduates) such as architecture, design, engineering, nursing, music.
- The International Co-op Program gives students the opportunity to experience work and living abroad.
- By the numbers: 67% acceptance rate, Mid-range SAT scores: Critical Reading 510-620, Math 520-640, Mid-range ACT composite: 22-27.
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, www.gatech.edu
- Georgia Tech's Undergraduate Cooperative Education Program is a five-year plan for students to alternate semesters of school with at least three semesters of paid work.
- One or more of the work semesters may be a paid work experience abroad.
- By the numbers: Admit rate: 51%; Mid-Range SAT scores: CR 580-680, M 650-750, Mid-range ACT composite: 27-31.
Kettering University, Flint, Michigan, www.kettering.edu
- Fourteen undergrad majors in math, science, business and applied engineering: undergraduates choose co-op positions from among Fortune 500 companies.
- The Co-op Program matches students with employers that align with interests with the goal of working with the same co-op employer throughout their academic program .
- By the numbers: Admit rate: 64%, Mid-range SAT scores: CR 530-630, M 590-680, Mid-range ACT composite: 24-28.
Keuka College, Keuka Park, New York, www.keuka.edu
- Four 140-hour “Field Periods” are required for graduation (one each year).
- Field Periods can be an internship, cultural experience, community service project, or faith-based exploration.
- By the numbers: 74%. This college is test-optional: test scores are not required for admission.
Northeastern University, Boston, MA, www.northeastern.edu
- Co-ops are available to Northeastern students in three dozen states and 90 countries
- Students start their first co-op during the second semester of their sophomore year, after completing the co-op preparation course in their major
- By the numbers: 32% acceptance rate; Mid-range SAT scores: Critical Reading 630-720, Math 650-740; Mid-range ACT composite: 29-32.
Check out these additional co-op colleges and universities: Drexel University (PA); Oregon State University's College of Engineering; Rochester Institute of Technology (NY); University of Victoria (BC, CA) or www.waceinc.org. Read more about the National Society for Experiential Education here: http://www.nsee.org/.
Homepage Photo Credit: Ryan Hyde (own work)
- College Admissions: Student-Parent Agreements
- College Counseling: Great Eco-Colleges
- College Counseling: Great Faith-Based Colleges