Festival of Trees Comes to Portland
Monday, November 30, 2015
This year’s edition of the festival, which taken place each year since 1982, will feature more than 100 beautifully decorated trees, mini-trees and holiday displays.
The event is expected to draw more than 20,000 guests this year, according to organizers. In order to plan such a massive event, more than 1,200 volunteers, including a 40 member steering committee, give their time and efforts.
Families will have a chance to decorate cookies, make holiday crafts, visit the teddy bear hospital and much more during the festival. The big man himself, Santa Claus, will even be onhand to take photos with all of the good little boys and girls at the festival.
The event will kick off with a Gala Dinner and Auction event at 5:30 PM on Thursday, November 3 at the Oregon Convention Center, located at 777 NE martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
The festival opens to the public at 10:30 AM on Friday, December 4. It will remain open until 8 PM on Friday before reopening at 9 AM on Saturday, December 5 and closing for good at 5 PM.
For more information, visit the Festival of Trees website.
Related Slideshow: 50 Ways to Give in Portland This Holiday Season
Oregon Food Bank
Donate food to needy families in your own area this holiday season via the Oregon Food Bank.
The Food Bank is most in need of the following items:
Foods high in protein such as canned meats (i.e., tuna, chicken, salmon) and canned or dried beans
- Foods high in nutrients, such as canned fruits and vegetables (preferably with reduced sodium and reduced sugar)
Photo via the Oregon Food Bank's Facebook page.
Child Centered Solutions
Child Centered Solutions protects the rights of children during high-conflict family disputes.
Donations can make a tangible impact in the lives of kids going through a divorce, who are vulnerable to feelings of loss and abandonment.
Image via Child Centered Solutions' Twitter page.
Headquartered in Portland, Medical Teams International provides medical care and disaster recovery to those in need all over the world.
Through their Holiday Gift Catalogue you can pick out a specific purchase for your donation, such as emergency medical support, dental care or disaster relief.
Image via Medical Teams International's Facebook page.
Cityteam provides hot meals, safe shelter, showers, clean clothing, recovery programs and other essential care to this city's homeless population. A recovery program is also in place for those men that are on a road of destruction from drugs and alcohol.
Donate today to help fund Cityteam serve more than 18,000 hot meals this holiday season.
Image via Cityteam's Facebook page.
Oregon Humane Society
The Oregon Human Society rescues, heals and adopts more than 11,000 pets each year. We never place a time limit on how long cats, dogs and other pets stay at our shelter.
The Humane Society relies on donations to support their adoption, education, and animal cruelty investigation programs.
Image via the Oregon Humane Society's Facebook page.
Sustainable Northwest restore forests, rivers, and rangelands for healthier habitat and clean air and water.
Donate today to contribute to one of their projects, such as water projects, climate projects and forest projects.
Image via Sustainable Northwest's Facebook page
Friends of the Children
Friends of the Children works to provide children in need with a nurturing and sustained relationship with a professional mentor who teaches positive values and has attainable expectations for each child to become a healthy, productive member of the community.
Spend your time volunteering at one of their upcoming events and help teach positive values to local kids.
Image via Friends of the Children's Facebook page
Founded in 1998, Ethos Inc. provides music lessons, group classes, camps, multicultural performances and workshops to more than 7,000 students across Oregon each year.
Those who would like to pitch in can volunteer their time at Ethos or donate an instrument to the program, along with making financial gifts.
Image via Ethos' Facebook page.
Friends of Trees
Friends of Trees has planted more than half a million trees and native plants since its founding in 1989. They hold events with community volunteers to restore green spaces in the area.
To get involved, plant a tree yourself or make a financial contribution to Friends of Trees.
Image via Friends of Trees' Facebook page
Boy Scouts of America
The Cascade Pacific Council of the Boy Scouts of America operates Boy Scout troops in 18 counties in northwest Oregon and southwest Washington.
Donate your time as a leader at a local troop or visit their website to make a financial gift.
Image via The Cascade Pacific Council of the Boy Scouts of America's Facebook page
Portland Rescue Mission
The Portland Rescue Mission provides services treating addiction, mental trauma and poverty to homeless families around the Portland-metro area.
To help the Rescue mission during this Holiday season, make a financial gift or donate your old and no longer wanted vehicle to their car donation program.
Image via the Portland Rescue Mission's Facebook page
All Hands Raised
Visit their donation page today to help brighten a child's educational future.
Image via the Portland Public School Foundation's Facebook page
SCRAP, or the School and Community Reuse Action Project, is a donation-based creative reuse store and donation center in Southwest Portland.
Right now, SCRAP is in need of thread, sewing needles, pins, blank and used canvas, feathers, marbles and other arts and crafts supplies.
Image via SCRAP's Facebook page
Emergency Food Program
Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon operates the Northeast Emergency Food Program, which provides a three-to-five day supply of nutritious groceries for local families in need.
The Emergency Food Program is in need of volunteers to help deliver and organize more than 12 tons of food each month. They are also in need of donations of canned, packaged and frozen foods.
The Providence Portland Medical Foundation provides medical services and resources for Providence Portland Medical Center.
The Medical Foundation is currently seeking funding for guest housing, cancer research and more.
Image via Providence Portland Medical Center's Facebook page.
Oregon Wild works to protect and restore Oregon’s wildlands, wildlife and waters as an enduring legacy for all Oregonians.
Members who donate to Oregon Wild receive a one-year subscription to Oregon Wild, their conservation newsletter, exclusive invitations to members-only hikes, excursions, and workshops and timely alerts and news about legislation and other actions that threaten the places you love.
Image via Oregon Wild's Facebook page
Portland Youth Builders
Portland Youth Builders offer support to youth age 17-24 whose experiences with poverty, violence, drugs, hunger and loss have interrupted their route to success.
Donations to the Youth Builders help fund school supplies for students, GED testing fees, or textbooks for college students.
Image via Portland Youth Builders' Facebook page
Oregon Zoo Foundation
The Oregon Zoo Foundation works to advance the zoo's mission of inspiring the community to create a better future for wildlife. Since 1997, the foundation has contributed more than $52 million to the Oregon Zoo to enhance efforts in conservation, education and animal welfare.
The Zoo Foundation asks for donations to enhance the zoo's work on behalf of wildlife at home and around the world.
The Center for a Sustainable Today operates the Green Neighborhood Project, which works to restore habitat, enhance ecosystem services, and create vibrant communities in the city of Portland.
Become a member today to support sustainability in Portland.
Image via Sustainable Today's Facebook page
Feral Cat Coalition
The Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon works to improve the welfare and reduce the population of feral and stray cats through spay/neuter programs and education.
Donations are used to fund the spaying and neutering of cats. Volunteers are also needed to help perform the veterinary work, spread the word about the organization and help with office work.
Image via the Feral Cat Coalition of Oregon's Facebook page.
Young Musicians & Artist
Since 1965, Young Musicians & Artists has provided residential visual and performing arts residential programs during the summer for high school students.
The program has grown over its five-decade history from one week-long camp to 250 students working with more than 50 volunteers at different camps and workshops in the city.
Image via Young Musicians and Artists' Facebook page.
The Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington works to build girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Donate your time as a leader at a local troop or visit their website to make a financial gift.
Image via The Girl Scouts of Oregon and Southwest Washington's Facebook page
The Hereford House Food Pantry supplies food and social services for Portland families in need.
The Hereford House is currently also seeking funding to provide staffing, furnishings and equipment needed to expand our capacity to include dental van visits, basic health screenings, employment counseling and healthy eating/nutrition classes.
Image via The Hereford House Facebook page
One in four homeless women in Portland identify domestic violence as the reason they became homeless in the first place.
Sponsored by the YWCA, the Yolanda Project aims to divert pressure onPortland's emergency shelter system by working with survivors of domestic violence at risk of becoming homeless to skip a stay in an emergency shelter and obtain safe, stable housing for themselves and their families.
Dreaming Zebra is a nonprofit charity providing support so that children are given an equal opportunity to explore and develop their creativity in the arts.
Donors are needed to sponsor a classroom, establish donation centers in local businesses and host an art or music supply drive.
Church Food Pantry
The Southeast Community Church Food Pantry provides emergency food boxes, clothes, and household items to any and all persons who find themselves in difficulties because their basic needs cannot be met due to economic hardship.
The Food Pantry is in need of canned and packaged foods, fresh produce, clean clothing and bedding and more.
Image via the Southeast Community Church Food Pantry's Facebook page.
Step It Up, Inc.
Step It Up, Inc. works to provide high school students with access to educational career development resources, support, and guidance so they have opportunities to succeed, teaching students to believe in themselves and their abilities.
Donations support resume workshops, career mentors and other programs.
Photo via Step It Up's Facebook page.
Write Around Portland
Write Around Portland offers 10-week creative writing workshops to hospitals, schools, prisons, shelters, senior centers, low-income housing, treatment facilities, health care and social service setting, and publishes anthologies of stories.
Volunteers are needed to host readings and serve as workshop facilitators.
Founded in 1992, JOIN works to support the efforts of homeless individuals and families to transition out of homelessness and into permanent housing.
Donations fund immersion, housing retention and outreach programs, as well as services such as showers, laundry, coffee and shelter from the weather.
Image via JOIN's Facebook page.
Founded in part by the American Heart Foundation and the Clinton Foundation, the Alliance for a Healthier Generation works to tackle childhood obesity.
Donations can help provide healthy recess programs, school lunches and doctor's visits.
Image via Healthier Generation's Facebook page
EcoDistricts works to promote sustainable growth in Portland, Oregon and across the United States.
Your donation supports innovative EcoDistricts programs that help convene and train urban leaders throughout North America to envision and implement urban regeneration projects that are transforming neighborhoods for the better.
Image via EcoDistrict's Facebook page
Climate Trust is a unique environmental conservation organization. They work to accelerate carbon mitigation with the development and purchase of carbon offsets.
Donate today to contribute to one of their innovative projects geared toward reducing carbon emissions.
Image via Climate Trust's Facebook page
Moore Street Food Pantry
The Moore Street Food Pantry is a shopping style food pantry operated by the Salvation Army. It serves 13 zip codes in the Portland-metro area.
Volunteers are needed to help staff the pantry and donations of food items are gladly accepted.
Image via Moore Street Food Pantry's Facebook page
Oregon Reproductive Help
The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health is dedicated to improving access to comprehensive reproductive health care, such as preventing unintended pregnancy and planning healthy families.
Donations help to advance reproductive rights and advocating for reproductive health equity in all Oregon communities.
Image via The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health's Facebook page
Chess for Success
More than just a clever name, Chess for Success works to help at-risk youth improve their self-esteem, behavior, and academic performance through developing skills learned in chess.
They are seeking funding for chess clubs, tournaments and more.
Image via Chess for Success Facebook page
Green Empowerment works with local partners around the world to strengthen communities by delivering renewable energy and safe clean water.
Donations will support the implementations of new water and energy projects, the training of local leaders and the development of international networks to guarantee comprehensive access to resources.
Image via Green Empowerment's Facebook page
Sight &Hearing Foundation
Oregon Lions Sight & Hearing Foundation works to screen, treat, save, and restore sight and hearing, in partnership with Lions Clubs.
Donations fund surgery, treatments, exams and glasses or hearing aids for those in need.
Image via Oregon Lions Sight and Hearing Foundation's Facebook page
Oregon Dog Rescue
Oregon Dog Rescue is an all-breed, no-kill shelter serving the greater Portland, Oregon area.
Funding helps provide homes for great dogs in Oregon and medical treatment that is urgent and/or necessary to facilitate a successful adoption.
Image via Oregon Dog Rescue's Facebook page
My Voice Music
My Voice Music that engages youth in music and performance in order to promote self-esteem, social skills, and emotional expression.
My Voice needs volunteers to help lead music education programs and accepts donations of gently used musical instruments and equipment.
Image via My Voice Music's Facebook page.
- Portland Queer Film Festival Opens at Cinema 21
- Portland International Film Festival Opening With Oscar-Nominated Film
- Portland Hosts International Youth Silent Film Festival
- Portland Filmed By Bike Festival Opens This Weekend
- Portland Rose Festival Grand Floral Parade 2015
- Portland Tango Festival Twirls Into Town
- Portland’s Annual Fertile Ground Art Festival Set To Kick Off
- Portland Vegans Celebrate in Upcoming Festival
- Portland To Be Well Represented At Cannes Film Festival
- Portland Film Festival: Drama, Divorce, and Finding Home in the Film ‘Half Brother’
- Portland Film Festival Plans Zombie Extra World Record
- Party Report: Portland Film Festival Opening Night After-Party
- Party Report: Oregon Truffle Festival at World Forestry Center
- Parade Report: 2015 LGBT Pride Parade and Waterfront Festival
- Party Report: Portland Film Festival Opening Night and Party
- Polaris Dance Theatre Presents the Third Annual Galaxy Dance Festival
- Portland Children’s Festival Brings The Arts to Kids
- Portland Center Stage Announces Lineup for JAW Festival
- Portland Brewing Releases New Beer For Rose Festival
- Portland-Filmed “Green Room” Premiering at Toronto Film Festival
- Portland’s Profile Theatre to Present Sam Shepard Festival
- Top 15 Things To Do At Portland’s Pride Festival
- The Portland Holiday Food and Gift Festival is This Weekend
- The Grotto’s Annual Christmas Festival Opens Friday
- Top Fairs and Festivals To Check Out This Summer
- What to See at the Oregon Independent Film Festival
- “Killer” Festival Celebrates Pumpkin Beer
- Wrap Up Summer with Local Wine Festivals
- Will Vinton Earns Lifetime Award at Portland Film Festival
- The Beginner’s Guide to the 2015 TBA Festival
- The 3rd Annual Internet Cat Festival Returns To Portland
- Rose Cup Races: A Highlight Of 2015 Portland Rose Festival
- Review: Sasquatch Music Festival 2015
- POWFest Calls for Entries for Eighth Annual Women’s Film Festival
- Shooting at Alberta St. Last Thursday Festival Leaves 3 Injured
- Sixth Annual Fermentation Festival Comes to Portland
- The 2015 Portland Rose Festival Set To Feature ‘Walk Off The Earth’
- TBA Time: Portland’s Time Based Art Festival Set to Kick Off
- Spotted In Portland: Olympian Greg Louganis at Queer Film Festival
- Oregon’s Top 5 Flower Festivals
- Oregon Brewers Festival To Discuss Economic Impact
- Bridgetown Comedy Festival Kicks Off Tonight
- Beers and Gears: The Oregon Handmade Bike and Beer Festival
- Annual Oregon Independent Film Festival Comes to Portland
- All Jane Comedy Festival Coming to Portland
- Cascade Festival of African Films Celebrates 25 Years
- Celebrate Cocktails at the Great American Spirits Festival
- Design Week Portland’s “Pop-Up Festival” Begins Today
- Countdown to Portland’s TBA Festival
- Celebrate the 64th Annual Greek Festival this Weekend
- 7 Reasons to Get Excited about the 2015 Portland Film Festival
- 6th Annual Pumpkin Festival Offers Brewfest and 5K Run
- 20 Fun Fall Festivals And Activities
- 15 Fun Things To Do At This Year’s Rose Festival
- 10th Annual Seafood & Wine Festival at Oregon Convention Center
- 2015 Portland Film Festival Announces Line-Up
- 25 Festivals This Fall in Oregon
- 5th Annual Quiet Music Festival of Portland at Disjecta
- 3rd Annual Galaxy Dance Festival Returns This Summer
- 25 Only in Oregon Fall Festivals
- Early Bird Tickets for Portland Fruit Beer Festival
- Edible Art Installation Debuts For JAW: A Playwright’s Festival
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Offers Music, Food, and Community
- Meet Jake “The Snake” Roberts at the Portland Film Festival
- Make Delicious Rose Jam for Your Rose Festival Brunch
- Music and Mountains, Beaches and Bards: It’s Festival Season in British Columbia
- New Zealand To Be Represented At The Oregon Brewers Festival
- Oregon Brewers Festival Features 90 Different Beers, Kicks off with Parade
- Northwest Food and Wine Festival Returns
- Northwest Film Center Presents the 23rd Portland Jewish Film Festival
- Lose Yr Mind Festival Arrives For “Starving Artists”
- Live Wire Partners With Bridgetown Comedy Festival For May 9th Show
- Gus Van Sant Film Starring Matthew McConaughey Headed to Cannes Film Festival
- Guinness World Record to be Attempted at Gresham Arts Festival
- Filmed By Bike Festival: Call For Entries
- H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival Celebrates 20th Anniversary
- Holiday Ale Festival is Next Week
- Linework NW Holds 2nd Annual Illustration and Comics Festival
- Jeffrey Combs Returns for H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival
- Inside Three Key Events at the Feast Festival
- “Festival of the Last Minute”: A Shopping Event for the Procrastinators