slides: Party Report: Portland Meadows Opening Day
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
Ben Soileau, for example, loves his hat. He bought his newsboy cap on a street in Baton Rouge way back in 2000. Ben says he wears it everywhere and says that if he ever lost it, it would be "like losing a woman."
Hats were everywhere at Portland Meadows. Caps, cowboy hats, giant Sunday church-going chapeaus and tiny fascinators: the first official race day of the year had all sorts of hat-wearing types racing to the horsetrack In North Portland.
In the crowd there were also well-dressed hipsters, belt-buckled cowboys and tons of families all out for a day of fun and gambling.
SLIDESHOW: See more photos from Portland Meadows Opening Day below.
There was also a hat contest for the ladies to show off their best derby-worthy toppers courtesy of Goorin Hats. Several worthy candidates vied for the title of best hat, but in the end it was Mitzi's peacock-plumed, lamp-shade looking creation that took top prize for the day.
See even more photos from Opening Day here.
Related Slideshow: Portland Meadows Opening Day
Hats and horses were serious business and the order of the day on Sunday afternoon at Portland Meadows Opening Day in North Portland.
- Party Report: Basic Rights Oregon’s “Ignite” at Art Museum
- Party Report: Departure Five Year Anniversary Celebration
- Party Report: Grand Opening for the Parker Building
- Party Report: La Femme Wows Crowd (and Romanian Church-Goers) at Oregon Convention Center
- Party Report: Portland Film Festival Opening Night and Party