Portland State Take a Closer Look at Demonology in Ancient Egypt
Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Lucarelli recently joined the Near Eastern Studies faculty at the University of California at Berkley She is currently writing a monograph on demonology in ancient Egypt and is one of the coordinators of the Ancient Egyptian Demonology Project.
Lucarelli will explore the magical spells, funerary culture, texts, rituals, objects, and iconography from the early Pharaonic through the Greco-Roman Periods. The lecture will focus on what questions arise about the definition, function and understanding of the term “demons” in ancient Egypt.
Lucarelli will also explore and compare demonology concepts in ancient Egypt with other practices in the ancient Near East, Greece, and the Jewish world.
The lecture will begin at 7:30 PM on Thursday, January 28 in Room 238 of the
Smith Memorial Student Union on the campus of Portland State University.
For more information, visit the PSU events website.
Related Slideshow: The Economist Ranks Oregon Colleges
- PSU Students Protest Giving Guns to Campus Police
- PSU Students React to President’s Compensation and For-Profit Business
- PSU Students Plan Protest for Board of Trustees Meeting
- PSU Sees Increase in Students of Color
- PSU Reduces Planned Tuition Increase Due to Additional State Funding
- PSU Sacks Sherri Murrell, First Openly Gay NCAA Div 1 Basketball Coach
- PSU Study: Over 40,000 Move to Oregon Last Year
- PSU To Build New Education Center Shared with OHSU
- Ten PSU Students win Fulbright and Boren Grants for International Study
- U.S. News Calls PSU One of the “Most Innovative Schools” in the Country
- Rogue’s “Viktory Ale” Celebrates PSU’s Class of 2015
- Recapping GoLocalPDX’s Coverage of PSU President Wim Wiewel
- PSU To Discuss Real Mummies vs “Reel Mummies”
- PSU Virus Discovery Could Impact HIV Drug Research
- PSU Receives $3.5 Million Grant for Cutting-Edge Research on E-Cigarettes
- PSU President’s Salary More Than Meets the Eye
- INVESTIGATION: PSU President Uses University Employee for Private Company
- INVESTIGATION: PSU President Wiewel uses University House for For-Profit Company
- EXCLUSIVE: PSU Student Says School Failed to Properly Investigate Rape Complaint
- Ethics Commission Not Investigating PSU President Wiewel
- DA Won’t Press Charges After Alleged PSU Sex Assault on Eden Paul
- Early Morning Fire Burns Six Food Carts Near PSU
- NEW: Prairie Underground and Little River Sock Mill Capsule Collections Launch at Adorn Boutique
- NEW: PSU Students Help Launch Low-Carbon Beer
- PSU Names Karen Marrongelle Dean of College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- PSU President Wiewel’s Consulting Business is Unique Among University Presidents
- Police: Man Arrested at PSU For Sex Crime After Breaking into Woman’s Hotel Room
- Older Generations 10-20 Times More Likely To Vote for Mayor, Says PSU Study
- Pair of Overdue Books Returned to PSU Library 52 Years Late
- Additional State Funding Leads to Reduction in Tuition Increase at PSU