Portland Then/Now: Northwest Broadway and Everett Street
Thursday, February 05, 2015
THEN: John's Coffee Shop was located at the corner of Northwest Broadway and Everett Street in 1976 when this building was called Broadmoor Hotel, which at that time was dedicated to serving the community as low income housing. Prior to that the building was called The Golden West Hotel. Built in 1906 it was own and operated by black entrepreneur W.D. Allen and served Portland's African American railway porters, cooks, barbers and waiters who were recruited to live here by the major railroads who were doing a booming business at the time. Businesses included Waldo Bogle's Barbershop, A.G. Green's ice cream parlor and candy shop and a Turkish bath and gym. The hotel closed in 1931 and was eventually replaced by the Broadmoor in 1943 where it stayed under that name until 1984.
NOW: Through the efforts of the building's present owner, Central City Concern, and with the assistance of the Portland Development Commission, the building has been rehabilitated and the name restored to recognize the Golden West Hotel's significant role in the history of Portland. The Golden West still maintains a cafe on the corner; John's Coffee Shop is now John's Corner Cafe. The neighborhood has seen a recent influx of new tenants including the new Pacific Northwest College of Art transformation of a former U.S. Postal building into a new building for their growing campus. Across the street the U.S. Customs House is also going under a major renovation as well. Nearby businesses include Pendleton Woolen Mills, Taboo Adult Video and Remedy Wine Bar. In the 21st Century the Golden West continues to serve as low income housing.
- Portland Then/Now: Mill Ends Park
- Portland Then/Now: Northwest 12th Avenue and Lovejoy Street
- Portland Then/Now: Northwest Couch Street and Third Avenue
- Portland Then/Now: Pioneer Courthouse Square
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest 10th Ave. and Yamhill Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest 2nd Ave. and Yamhill Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Broadway and Taylor Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Fourth Avenue and Morrison Street