Portland Then/Now: Portland State University & SW Park Ave.
Thursday, March 05, 2015
THEN: According to Vintage Portland, "this image captures Portland State’s early campus expansion period during the mid-1960s. Closest to us is the College Center building (now Smith Memorial Student Union) in the process of acquiring its next few levels and a library.
The mansion across the street is the Jennings House sitting next to the Counseling and Testing Center and State Hall (later Cramer Hall).
The Jennings House is where students registered for classes and rather than demolish it when Cramer Hall was expanded in 1969-1970, it was preserved and relocated a few blocks south to the corner of Broadway and Jackson where it burned down shortly thereafter. Also pictured is Old Main (now Lincoln Hall)."
The photo was said to have been taken sometime during 1964. The image was provided to Vintage Portland by PSU's Architecture, Engineering & Construction Archives at Portland State University.
NOW: Portland State University currently enrolls over 28,000 students, with over 15,000 women and 13,000 men strong.
The streets that once divided the campus in the 1960's are now pedestrian pathways that include food carts and is intersected by a trolley line that runs throughout the campus and serves all of downtown and the Pearl District.
The pedestrian paths and greenspaces are part of the South Park Blocks that start at the far end of PSU continue to the center of the downtown.
- Portland Then/Now: Hawthorne Bridge
- Portland Then/Now: Mill Ends Park
- Portland Then/Now: Northwest 12th Avenue and Lovejoy Street
- Portland Then/Now: Northwest Broadway and Everett Street
- Portland Then/Now: Northwest Couch Street and Third Avenue
- Portland Then/Now: Pioneer Courthouse Square
- Portland Then/Now: South End of Burnside Bridge
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest 10th Ave. and Yamhill Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest 11th Ave. and Morrison St.
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest 2nd Ave. and Yamhill Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Broadway and Morrison Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Broadway and Taylor Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Broadway and Washington Street
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Fourth Ave. & Yamhill St.
- Portland Then/Now: Southwest Fourth Avenue & Madison Street