See Where Portland Ranks for Halloween
Monday, October 24, 2016
“According to the National Retail Federation, those celebrating Halloween plan to blow a record $8.4 billion, or an average of $82.93 per person, on the holiday this year. For context, that’s $1.5 billion more than in 2015,” said WalletHub.
Portland ranks 62nd in trick or treater friendliness, 12th win Halloween parties and activities and 54th in Halloween weather.
Portland is ranked 41st behind Austin, Texas, and Norfolk Virginia at 39 and 40 respectively, while ranking ahead of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin at 42 and 43 respectively.
Santa Ana, California is ranked as the best city for Halloween, while Birmingham, Alabama is ranked as the worst city.
See the full rankings on the map below.
WalletHub’s analysts compared 100 of the most populated U.S. cities across three key dimensions including trick-or-treater friendliness, Halloween parties and activities and Halloween weather.
They then evaluated those dimensions using 18 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a 100-point scale, where 100 represents the most favorable conditions for a Halloween celebration.
WalletHub then calculated overall scores for each city based on the weighted average across all metrics and used the results to get the ranking.
Trick-or-Treater Friendliness – Total Points: 60
- Kid Population: Double Weight (~16.00 Points)
Note: This metric measures the percentage of the population aged 14 and younger and was used as a proxy for the number of potential trick-or-treaters.
- Trick-or-Treat Stops: Half Weight (~4.00 Points)
Note: This metric measures the percentage of occupied housing units and was used as a proxy for all potential stops for trick-or-treaters.
- Population Density: Full Weight (~8.00 Points)
- Walk Score: Full Weight (~8.00 Points)
Note: This metric measures the walkable distance in the neighborhood.
- Crime Rate: Double Weight (~16.00 Points)
Note: This metric was used as a proxy for neighborhood security.
- Pedestrian Fatality Rate: Full Weight (~8.00 Points)
Halloween Parties & Activities – Total Points: 30
- Average Price of a Halloween Party Ticket: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
Note: Averages are based on Halloween events listed on Eventbrite.com as of Oct. 10, 2016, where at least two events were available.
- Number of Halloween Costume Stores per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Halloween Party Supplies Stores per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Candy & Chocolate Stores per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Movie Theaters per Capita: Half Weight (~1.67 Points)
- Average Movie-Ticket Price: Half Weight (~1.67 Points)
Note: This metric was used as a proxy for horror films timed with Halloween.
- Number of Bars & Dance Clubs per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Amusement Parks: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Haunted Houses per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Number of Pumpkin Patches per Capita: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
Halloween Weather – Total Points: 10
- Ideal Halloween Temperature: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
Note: This metric measures the difference between the average forecasted temperature for Halloween and the average normal temperature for this time period.
- Forecasted Halloween Precipitation: Full Weight (~5.00 Points)
- Portland Police Ask for Public’s Help in ID’ing Halloween Bank Robber
- In Plain Sight: Having Halloween with Witches
- Portland Threads: Halloween
- Seven Halloween Tips for Parents of Children with Asthma
- The Spooky Halloween Sports Scene in Seattle
- Halloween Pumpkin Beer Extravaganza Planned for Portland
- Halloween 5K Race to Raise Money for Child Homelessness
- 25 Inappropriate and Just Wrong Halloween Costumes
- 5 Halloween Safety Tips from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office
- Best Halloween Attractions For Portlanders This Fall
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: Burial Mishap + Halloween
- 10 Great Halloween Parties to Sneak Into