World AIDS Day Luncheon at Nines Honored Heroes of HIV
Wednesday, December 03, 2014
This year's honorees included Dr. Louis Picker from Oregon Health & Science University, Nike, and Kevin Cook aka "Poison Waters."
Accepting the Corporate Hero award on behalf Nike was Jorge Casimiro, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Global Community Impact/Nike Foundation at NIKE Inc.
OHSU's Dr. Louis Picker, a vaccine expert who is working on a promising vaccine for an effective treatment to HIV, shared his research with those gathered and talked of how we might soon see an end to the epidemic as he received his Research Hero award.
Kevin Cook, aka the illustrious drag performer "Poison Waters," left his gowns at home as well as his mascara. It was a good thing too. His alloted two-minute time for his acceptance of his Individual Hero Award turned into twelve minutes of laughter, memories and thanks. And, yes, quite a few tears. Cook received a standing ovation after his compelling and heartfelt words.
Under the direction of Executive Director Tyler TerMeer CAP continues to offer hope, inspiration and most of all support for those who are affected by HIV.
At the Nines Hotel, during that particular luncheon, it felt like everyone in the room was a "hero" that day.
Banner photo: Lulu Lucious and Doug Friend. Photo by Byron Beck.
Related Slideshow: CAP’s World AIDS Day Luncheon at Nines
Cascade AIDS Project's first annual Heroes of HIV Luncheon at the Nines Hotel on World AIDS Day gathered together people and organizations that have played vital roles in turning the tables on HIV.
- Party Report: Ain’t Misbehavin’ Benefit for German American School
- Party Report: Albertina Kerr Community Awards Luncheon With Storm Large
- Party Report: Back To The Garden With Pink Martini & Friends
- Party Report: Basic Rights Oregon’s “Ignite” at Art Museum
- Party Report: Celebrating Women in Culinary Arts on St. Catherine’s Day
- Party Report: Departure Five Year Anniversary Celebration
- Party Report: Equity Foundation at University Club
- Party Report: Storm Large at Rumble On the River V
- Party Report: Oregon Ballet Theatre’s 25 at Keller