Clackamas Sheriff’s Office Asks Teens to “Drive with a Cop”
Friday, October 23, 2015
The program is part of National Teen Driver Safety Week, which runs through October 24, and is cosponsored by the Oregon Impact and World of Speed Museum. Teens will go through a driving course with a police officer, and have the opportunity to try on a pair of impaired goggles.
Participants will also hear from a panel of speakers and learn about the dangers of distracted driving.
"Our deputies who are trained driving instructors will take teens through the same driving maneuvers that we learn in law enforcement," said Sheriff Craig Roberts. "This is a great opportunity for teens to improve their driving skills and learn about how to stay safe on the road."
Carrie Higgins, the mother of 17-year-old Maddi Higgins, who lost her life in a car accident last year, will be on hand to share her story.
Higgins founded “Angel 5—- Long Live the Legacy of Five” campaign to make young people aware of the consequences of speeding and driving while impaired or distracted. It is named for five Clackmas County teens who lost their lives in car crashes during the past 16 months.
"It keeps Maddi's name alive, but more importantly hopefully it saves lives," said Carrie Higgins of the "Angel 5" campaign. "Hopefully our efforts can prevent one fatality and one family from going through what we have."
For more information, or to register for the program, visit the program’s website.
Related Slideshow: The 10 Oregon Counties With the Most Car Theft
Be careful parking your car if you live in one of these Oregon counties. GoLocalPDX in partnership with FindtheBest found Oregon's top 10 counties with the highest rates of car theft.
- Portland Man Steals Car After Breaking Into House
- Portland Designer Fashions Oscar Gown for Cheryl Strayed
- Portland Crashes Allstate’s List of 25 Worst U.S. Cities for Car Accidents
- Oscar Lopez Brings His Mermaid Inspired Collection to the Spring 2015 Runway
- Oscarlandia? Oscar Winners and Nominees with Ties To Oregon
- Ready-to-Wear Couture: Oscar Lopez, PFW Emerging Designer Winner
- Roy Jay: A Used Car May Cost You Three Times The Purchase Price
- Updated: Portland Police Chase Car of Washington Murder Suspect, Lose Him
- Why Car Manufacturers Should Install Breathalyzers in New Vehicles
- The 25 Portland Metro Area Communities With the Highest Car Insurance Rates
- Ten Things To Do In the Case of a Car Accident
- Study Finds 93 Percent of Oregon Families Misuse Infant Car Seats
- Oregon to Subsidize Electric Car Charging Stations For State Workers
- Holiday Gift Ideas for The Car Lover in Your Life
- Is Getaround the Uber of Car Sharing?
- Happy Birthday, Mazda Miata: The Little Car That Did
- Car Kills Two Horses in Washington County
- Apple is Getting into the Car Business
- LAIKA’s Designer Talks about Costumes for Oscar Nominated Boxtrolls
- Millennials and Generation X Commuting Less by Car in Portland
- Oregon Start-Up and BMW Team Up on Traffic Light Car Feature
- Oregon Counties With the Most Car Theft
- NEW: Oscar Nominations Include Three With Ties to Oregon
- New World of Speed Car Museum Opens in Wilsonville
- 24-Year-Old Woman Arrested on 93 Charges in West Coast Car Crushing Investigation