Forest Grove Nursery Manager Gomez Wins $1 Million Powerball Prize
Saturday, August 12, 2017
"I scanned it and it said to talk to the clerk. When I checked it with the clerk, it said I needed to go to Salem. We were both shocked and excited,” said Gomez.
The winning numbers were 12-30-36-47-62 with a Powerball of 9. Avalos Gomez's quick pick Powerball ticket missed the Powerball number.
Gomez took the ticket home and checked the numbers online several times with her family on the Oregon Lottery's website before she would believe her ticket was not worth $100, but $1 million.
"I was pretty sure it was only $100," she said. "Now I can pay off my mortgage. I am still wrapping my head around winning that much money."
Jimmie Musselwhite, who owns the Mini Mart where Avalos Gomez purchased her ticket, said he was happy to learn he had sold a $1 million ticket.
"I am sure we are going to sell a bunch of Powerball tickets tomorrow. Selling a million dollar ticket, and having the jackpot still be so high, I think people will come here to get their tickets."
The Powerball jackpot continues to grow.
The estimated jackpot for Saturday night’s drawing is $356 million.
Altogether, 14,283 Powerball players won more than $1,064,000 in Oregon after Wednesday night's drawing. Prizes ranged from the $1 million ticket to $4 winning tickets.
The top Powerball prize ever won by an Oregonian was $340 million.
- Oregon Lottery Launches 2nd Version of Loteria Scratch-it Ticket
- Oregon Lottery Receives International Lottery Conference Award
- Oregon Lottery Still Waiting for St. Patrick’s Day Raffle Winner to Claim Prize
- Oregon Lottery Features Mat Kearney in New Ad
- Oregon Lottery Announces March as Problem Gambling Awareness Month
- Elisa Dozono Resigns as Chair of Oregon Lottery Following Lawsuit
- Neil Olshey, Portland Trail Blazers Won’t Talk ‘Playoffs, Lottery’
- Data Dimes: Which NBA Teams Have Best, Worst Draft Lottery Luck?