Oregon is Ranked 43rd in the U.S. for Education
Monday, August 01, 2016
"WalletHub’s analysts compared the quality of education in the 50 states and the District of Columbia to shine the spotlight on top-performing school systems. In making such a comparison, we examined each state and the District across 17 key metrics, ranging from “student-teacher ratio” to “average SAT and ACT scores” to “dropout rate," said WalletHub.
Oregon ranks 43rd in school system quality rank and 46th in school system safety rank.
Oregon is ranked 43rd overall behind South Dakota and Alabama at 41 and 42 respectively, while ranking ahead of Nevada at West Virginia at 44 and 45 respectively.
Massachusetts is ranked number one overall while Louisiana is ranked last.
See the map below for the full rankings
WalletHub's analysts compared the 50 U.S. States and the District of Columbia across two key dimensions, namely "School-System Quality" and "School-System Safety."
WalletHub evaluated these categories using 17 relevant metrics. Each metric was graded on a scale of 0 to 100, with 100 representing the best school system quality.
They then calculated overall scores for each state using the weighted average across all metrics. They used those to construct the rankings.
School-System Quality – Total Points: 80
- Presence of State’s Public Schools Within the “Top 700 Best U.S. Schools”: Full Weight (~4.21 Points)
Note: The number of schools in the top 700 was adjusted by the number of schools for each state in the US News & World Report sample.
- Remote-Learning Opportunities from Online Public Schools: Half Weight (~2.11 Points)
- Dropout Rate: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- High School Graduation Rate for Low-Income Students: Full Weight (~4.21 Points)
- “Bookworms” Ranking: Half Weight (~2.11 Points)
- Pupil-Teacher Ratio: Full Weight (~4.21 Points)
- Percentage of Licensed/Certified Public K–12 Teachers: Full Weight (~4.21 Points)
- Math Test Scores: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- Reading Test Scores: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- Percentage of High School Graduates Who Completed an Advanced Placement (AP) Exam: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- Average SAT Score: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- Average ACT Score: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
- Percentage of High School Graduates Who Completed the ACT and/or SAT: Double Weight (~8.42 Points)
Note: For this metric, the percentage sum may be larger than 100 percent because some students completed both standardized tests. However, no data specifying the number of students who did so are available.
School-System Safety – Total Points: 20
- School Safety: Double Weight (~6.67 Points)
Note: This metric measures the percentage of public school students in grades 9 to 12 who reported being threatened or injured with a weapon on school property.
- Disciplinary-Incidents Rate per 100,000 Students: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- Bullying-Incidents Rate: Double Weight (~6.67 Points)
- Youth Incarceration Rate per 100,000 Population under Age 21: Full Weight (~3.33 Points)
- The Reluctant Adventurer: Fellatio Class
- The Far West Classic Returns to Portland in December
- Teachers, How To Get Out of A Funk in the Classroom
- The Rose City Classic Dog Show is This Weekend
- Three New Spins on the Classic Cinderella Story
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Steve Novick, Reservoir Dogs, Working Class Oregonians
- Where Legends Live – Oregon Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2015
- Top 5 Reasons Why “Guys and Dolls” is the Perfect Classic Musical
- Take A Farm-to-Table Cooking Class at The Kitchen at Middleground Farms
- Sagarika Ramachandran Brings Classical Indian Dance To Newmark Theatre
- Portland Winterhawks: “Daylight Classics” Good for Business, Good for Record
- Organize + Energize: Teachers - It’s time to Organize Your Classroom
- College Admissions: Forecasting Classes for Next Year
- Portland’s Urban Grange Now Offering Community Classes
- READ the 29 Pages of Declassified 9/11 Documents
- S’mores Time! Six New Takes on the Classic Campfire Treat
- Rogue’s “Viktory Ale” Celebrates PSU’s Class of 2015
- Repair-It-Yourself: Bike Maintenance Classes for Beginners
- Batum Helped Off Court as Blazers Outclass Nuggets