Two People Dead Following Stabbing on Max Train, North Portland Man Arrested
Sunday, May 28, 2017
Jeremy Joseph Christian, 35, of North Portland was arrested and charged with Aggravated Murder (two counts), Attempted Murder, Intimidation in the Second Degree (two counts), and Felon in Possession of a Restricted Weapon.
He will be arranged on Monday in Multnomah County Court.
The names of the victims will be released following autopsies.
This investigation started on Friday, May 26, at 4:30 p.m., when North Precinct and Transit Police Division officers responded to the report of a disturbance on an eastbound MAX train at the Hollywood Transit Station involving a man who stabbed two other people. Multiple officers responded to the area and, while en route, learned that the suspect got off the train and was leaving the area on foot towards Providence Medical Center.
Officers and medical personnel arrived at the Hollywood Transit Station and located three stabbing victims. Officers began immediate medical treatment to the victims at the scene until medical personnel arrived. One victim, an adult man, died at the scene. The other two victims were transported by ambulance to a Portland hospital, where one was pronounced dead and the other was treated for injuries that are not expected to be life-threatening.
The suspect was located by officers and taken into custody. The suspect received medical treatment and was turned over to Homicide detectives.
Preliminary information indicates that the suspect was on the MAX train yelling various remarks that would best be characterized as hate speech toward a variety of ethnicities and religions. At least two of the victims attempted to intervene with the suspect and calm him down. The suspect attacked the men, stabbing three, before leaving the train.
Witnesses described to police two young women, possibly Muslim, who were on the train at the time of the disturbance and attack, but left prior to police arrival. The young women have not been identified but one was described as wearing a hijab.
Detectives would like to speak to them, and any other people who left the scene, as they may be witnesses to this incident.
- Portland Police Release Personal Photos From Stolen Camera
- Portland Police Reach Out to Sexual Assault Victims With Video Promoting the Rose Project
- Portland Police Providing Extra Patrols Near Houses of Worship
- Portland Police Release Photos of Stabbing Suspect
- Portland Police Release Video of Robbery, Assault at Southeast Portland Bar
- Portland Police Search for Northside Homicide Suspect
- Portland Police Respond to 4 Suicide Calls; None Result in Deaths
- Portland Police Resist Medical Examiner’s Involvement in Officer-Involved Shooting Investigations
- Portland Police Officer Injured Responding to Disturbance Call
- Portland Police Officer Assaulted While Arresting Flasher
- Portland Police Investigating Lewis and Clark Assault As A Hate Crime
- Portland Police Identify Victim & Suspect in Fatal Gentleman’s Club Stabbing
- Portland Police Dog Finds 15 Pounds of Methamphetamine —Valued Between $150k and $240K
- Portland Police Investigating Multiple Overnight Shootings
- Portland Police Investigating North Portland Shooting
- Portland Police Officer Arrested for DUI After Crash
- Portland Police Make 5 Arrests, Seize 4 Guns in Brentwood Park
- Portland Police Searching for Gunman Who Shot Moving Truck
- Portland Police Searching for Missing 2-Year-Old Boy
- Report Calls For 21 Changes in Wake of Portland Police Shootings, In-Custody Deaths
- Possible Murder in Lent’s Neighborhood Being Investigated by Portland Police
- Portland Police Warn of Active Phone Scam in Portland
- Social Media: Protesters Clash With Portland Police
- Tensions Persist Between Portland Police and the African-American Community
- UPDATED: Portland Police Search for Missing 10-Year-Old Boy
- UPDATED: Portland Police Make Arrest in High School Shooting Case
- Updated: Portland Police Chase Car of Washington Murder Suspect, Lose Him
- Portland Police to Host Prescription Drug Turn in Event on April 30
- Portland Police to Allow Public Nudity at World Naked Bike Ride