Fecteau: Don’t Scrap the Iran Nuclear Deal
Sunday, October 01, 2017
On October 15th, 2017, Mr. Trump – just like on his reality television show – will reveal his decision. The Trump administration doesn’t seem to have a good answer as to why it is reconsidering the deal. The White House privately admits Iran is abiding by its terms but not the “spirit” of the deal due to its ballistic missile development, and support of terrorism (these respective issues were never a part of the deal).
The Iran nuclear accord is far from perfect, but the best deal that could be produced at the time. The deal unfreezes $150 billion in Iranian assets, and that could be used to further destabilize the Greater Middle East -- an important concern.
However, Mr. Trump might want to talk to his top military leaders and the international watchdog group International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) before he makes the decision. Both U.S military leaders and the IAEA acknowledge Iran is abiding by the conditions of the deal.
The Iran nuclear deal also curtails Iran’s nuclear activities when no other tangible options are available. To this day, the Iran nuclear deal remains the surest way to rein in Iran’s illicit nuclear activities. This significantly delays another nuclear crisis that we cannot afford -- especially with the spoiled brat of North Korea throwing a temper tantrum every couple days. It would be almost impossible to bring Iran and the rest of the world back to the negotiating table as well.
The future of the Iran nuclear accord is in the hands of a reality television star that is obsessed with ratings. With all Mr. Trump's bluster about how terrible the Iran nuclear deal was, it remains the only viable alternative to ensure Iran doesn't acquire the ultimate weapons of mass destruction. Mr. Trump has prided himself on making good deals but scrapping the Iran nuclear deal would be the worst deal of them all, creating another nuclear crisis in the process.
Mr. Trump, please don’t scrap the Iran nuclear deal.
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s Nuke Bluff Backfired
- Fecteau: Trump’s Big Business Boondoggle
- Fecteau: Trump’s a Nuclear Nihilist
- Fecteau: The Name Game in Charlottesville
- Fecteau: Trump Goes Obama-Lite in Afghanistan
- Fecteau: Trump vs. the NFL
- Fecteau: Trump’s Pivot
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: What is Going on Between Trump and Russia?
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Matt Fecteau: Dear Trump Supporters, This isn’t a Reality TV Show
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Fecteau: Tweets and Transgender Rights
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: The Futile Anti-Trump Protests
- Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
- Fecteau: Chaos in The White House
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Clinton Should Participate in a Recount
- Fecteau: Chafee’s Wrong on Russia
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria