Fecteau: Trump vs. the NFL
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Mr. Trump is in no position to criticize anyone’s freedom of speech, especially with his controversial and colorful history. This is the very individual who criticized a federal judge, Mr. Gonzalo Curiel, for his Mexican heritage (a comment even U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan called racist). This is the same Mr. Trump that talked about a Muslim Ban during his presidential campaign to an applauding crowd of predominantly white, raucous individuals, and the infamous Mr. Trump that is intent on building a wall to keep the Mexicans out.
I would like to have seen this level of condemnation from Mr. Trump when Nazis were violently protesting in Charlottesville. Mr. Trump forcefully censures those that peacefully protest by kneeling, but had to be prodded by Congress into even making a written statement condemning Nazis. Condemning Nazis should be the easiest part of his job!
These specific NFL players are arguably honoring our country and doing a public service; standing up for those that feel the system is stacked against them. These peaceful NFL protests are highlighting an injustice, not through violent means (like in Charlottesville), but by a simple, yet powerfully humbling gesture — kneeling.
We need to work together to look for real solutions and stop beating up (cough, Mr. Trump, cough) on those that exercise their rights to shed light on pervasive racial inequality in a peaceful way. You may disagree with the protestors, but at least they are trying to send a message through non-violent means. This is what our flag truly embodies — freedom; the freedom to disagree, but more importantly, the freedom to protest, and freedom to stand up (or kneel) for your beliefs.
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s Nuke Bluff Backfired
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s Big Business Boondoggle
- Fecteau: The Name Game in Charlottesville
- Fecteau: Trump Goes Obama-Lite in Afghanistan
- Fecteau: Trump’s a Nuclear Nihilist
- Fecteau: Trump’s Pivot
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: What is Going on Between Trump and Russia?
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Matt Fecteau: Dear Trump Supporters, This isn’t a Reality TV Show
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Fecteau: Tweets and Transgender Rights
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: The Futile Anti-Trump Protests
- Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
- Fecteau: Chaos in The White House
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Clinton Should Participate in a Recount
- Fecteau: Chafee’s Wrong on Russia
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: Dire Choices on Syria
- Fecteau: Obama Strikes Back, but Too Little, too Late?
- Fecteau: Terror and Response