Human Rights Campaign Endorses Oregon Governor Brown for Re-Election
Thursday, October 05, 2017
The announcement is the organization’s first gubernatorial endorsement for the 2018 election cycle.
“Kate Brown is a champion of equality who has fought for the LGBTQ community throughout her career, helping to improve the lives of countless people. As the nation’s first openly bisexual governor, Kate Brown has worked tirelessly to make the principles of fairness and equality a priority for Oregon. HRC is proud to endorse Governor Brown in her bid for re-election,” said HRC President Chad Griffin.
“I've been fighting for LGBTQ equality my entire career and am proud of our record of leadership. I want to make Oregon an even better place to live, work and raise a family — no matter who you are, how you identify or who you love,” said Brown.
Brown is the second female governor of Oregon and she was Oregon's first female Senate majority leader.
Under her leadership as governor, Oregon banned the practice of so-called “conversion therapy” for LGBTQ young people and extended critical protections for transgender students in Oregon schools.
During her time as majority leader in the Oregon Senate, she played a key role in passing the state’s LGBTQ-inclusive non-discrimination law.
She was also a leader in the fight to pass domestic partnership benefits prior to marriage equality reaching the state.
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Charlie Hales, Amanda Fritz, Kate Brown
- Portlanders Talk About Kitzhaber, Kate Brown
- NEW: Kate Brown Says Governor not Required to Report McCaig as Election Worker
- Meet Kate Brown, Our New Governor
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Kate Brown, Allen Alley, Amanda Fritz
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Kate Brown, Lars Larson, Clean Fuels
- Why is No One Running Against Kate Brown?
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Tobias Read, Alek Skarlatos, Kate Brown
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Kate Brown, Racial Profiling, Women’s Rights
- Kate Brown: 15 People Who Made a Difference in 2015
- Kate Brown to Be Sworn in as Oregon Governor
- Governor Kate Brown Is Not Cleaning House
- Gov. Kate Brown ‘Offended’ by Indiana Religious Freedom Law
- Could Allen Alley Unseat Governor Kate Brown?
- Brian Shipley Resigns as Kate Brown’s Chief of Staff
- Governor Kate Brown Signs Clean Fuels Bill
- Governor Kate Brown To Announce New Secretary of State March 6
- Kate Brown Sworn In as Oregon’s 38th Governor
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Kate Brown, Minimum Wage, and More
- Kate Brown Speaks at Oregon’s Statehood Day Celebration
- Kate Brown Returns to Oregon Unexpectedly, May Signal Kitzhaber Resignation
- Kate Brown Calls for Independent Review of ODOT
- Ashland Doctor to Challenge Kate Brown in Democratic Primary