slides: 15 Biggest Sports Stories of 2015
Friday, December 25, 2015
No question that the year was highlighted by the Portland Timbers winning the MLS Cup title, their first title in franchise history. However, other events include Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota being drafted number two overall and sadly the passing away of Trail Blazers legend Jerome Kersey.
GoLocalPDX covered all those events and more in 2015.
Here is a look at the top 15 sports stories of 2015.
See the Slideshow Below.
Related Slideshow: 15 Biggest Sports Stories of 2015
Seattle Seahawks Fall in Super Bowl
The New England Patriots battled through a nailbiter of a match to win Super Bowl XLIX, which ended in a physical altercation between several players.
Tom Brady led the New England Patriots to the 28-24 victory over the Seattle Seahawks at the University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale, Az. The Seahawks defense intercepted two of quarterback Brady's fully inflated passes, but it would be a New England interception in the final minute of the game that would seal the victory for the Patriots.
The 10 Dumbest Coaching Decisions in NFL History
It's always entertaining when NFL head coaches call what they think is a really good play or a really smart decision and then that decision goes completely wrong. Unless it's your team, then it's terrible.
GoLocalPDX took at look at the 10 dumbest coaching decisions in NFL history.
Alex Morgan is Gone and Portland Thorns Fans are to Blame
The face of U.S. women’s soccer, the cover girl of EA Sports FIFA 16, and one of the most recognizable athletes in all of sports, Alex Morgan, is no longer with the Portland Thorns, and it’s all your fault. Because of your relentless support and record-setting attendance, Portland was able to give in to the request of its most recognizable player, sacrificing star power in favor of gathering more talent and potential to make the Thorns a better team. Much better.
Bring the Arizona Coyotes to Portland
Let’s face it. You are a billionaire and while you don’t like to lose money, you own the Trail Blazers and the Seahawks for the fun of it and the thrill of competition.
You’ve obviously succeeded with the Seahawks (though I still don’t care).
And while your 25-year track record with the Trail Blazers is much more middling, the fact that the Trail Blazers remain in Portland owes much to you. In other words, your sports legacy in Seattle is secure in Seattle and probably intact in Portland, save another “Jail Blazers” stretch.
But if you want to cement your legacy in Portland – and have a blast doing it – bring the Coyotes here.
Oregon’s Football Uniforms No Longer a Joke
It didn’t happen overnight, and it didn’t happen solely because, but Oregon’s uniform revolution kick-started a metamorphosis of previously ugly ducklings into a sports nation of flourishing fowl. The Ducks of today are not the Ducks of 20 years ago, and the punchline they were due to the innovative route they chose to take has become the road more travelled for everyone else trying to catch up. They’re winning at an unprecedented rate, generating revenue at an unprecedented level, and attracting attention from prospects from unprecedented regions of the country. It isn’t and accident and it isn’t a joke anymore.
It appears the Ducks are the ones laughing now.
Marcus Mariota Selected #2 Overall to Tennessee
With the number two pick in the 2015 NFL Draft the Tennessee Titans selected Marcus Mariota.
While at Oregon he was the perfect role model. He was never seen doing anything he wasn’t supposed to do. He even made weekly visits to the Boys and Girls Club located in Eugene, Oregon. The only hiccup on his record was when he got a speeding ticket during the season. Yet, he paid it off immediately and accepted that he was in the wrong. This is something that Duck fans desperately needed to see after witnessing Jeremiah Masoli, Cliff Harris and Colt Lyerla not live up to their full potential because of poor decisions made off the field. To many Duck fans this is what made Mariota so special.
Jerome Kersey Passes Away at 52
Trail Blazers great Jerome Kersey died in Portland, Wednesday. He was 52.
A medical examiner's report released found that Kersey suffered a pulmonary thromboembolism when a blood clot from his calf dislodged from his calf and plugged in his lung.
Brandon Roy’s Life After Basketball
Due to a number of knee ailments that dated back to his college days Roy was forced to retire from the NBA at the age of 28. It was later discovered that Roy suffered from degenerative knees, an ongoing issue that would provide additional problems in the future if he were to continue with his NBA career. Roy made the tough decision to call it a career after the 2012-2013 season.
Since his retirement from the NBA Roy has found another way to stay involved with the game that has brought him plenty of success.
Oregon Ducks Football Falls in National Championship Game
The first ever College Football Playoff National Championship Trophy will not be coming back to Oregon.
Kurt Helfrich’s Oregon Ducks could not hold off the gritty offense of Cardale Jones and the Ohio State Buckeyes, dropping 42-20.
Will Marijuana Use Cost the Ducks the National Championship?
Multiple reports surfaced late Friday that freshman Darren Carrington would be ineligible for Monday’s national championship against Ohio State for failing a random drug test, supposedly registering a positive for marijuana.
- Oregon Ducks Steamrolled in Week 3 Against Utah
- Oregon Ducks Vernon Adams Jr. Ranked 17th Amongst Division I QB’s
- Oregon Ducks QB Vernon Adams Jr. to Return for Saturday’s Game
- Oregon Ducks QB Vernon Adams Jr. To Face Former School in Season Opener
- Oregon Ducks Media Day Wrap-up with Mark Helfrich
- Oregon Ducks WR Byron Marshall Likely Out for the Season with Injury
- What We Learned: Oregon Ducks Vs Washington State Cougars
- Vernon Adams Jr. Making a Splash at Oregon Ducks Fall Camp
- Uniforms, Pride, And The Oregon Ducks In The National Championship
- The Post-Mariota Oregon Ducks No Longer Considered National Championship Contenders
- Oregon Ducks Lose NCAA Football Championship 42-20
- Oregon Ducks Jeff Lockie Keeps Composure Over Losing Quarterback Spot
- No Mariota, No Problem: Oregon Ducks Season Preview
- Game Preview: Oregon Ducks vs. Michigan State Spartans
- Game Preview: Oregon Ducks Face Eastern Washington Eagles
- 5 Things to Watch For in the Oregon Ducks Game This Weekend
- Oregon Ducks Drop to No. 13 After Loss to Michigan State
- Oregon Ducks Employ New Tactics in Win Against Arizona State
- Oregon Ducks Hoping Dakota Prukop Can Be Vernon Adams 2.0, Just Sooner
- Oregon Ducks Have Re-Joined College Football’s Mortal Majority with Conference Title as Newest Goal
- Timbers Record 3rd Consecutive Victory
- Timbers One Game Away From Champions League Quarterfinals
- Timbers Look To Control Playoff Destiny
- Timbers Shift Into Playoff Contention
- Timbers Take 3-1 Victory in First Leg of Conference Championship
- Timbers v. Alpha United: A Chance To Advance
- Timbers Tally Victory In Stoppage Time
- Timbers Headed to MLS Final
- Timbers Eliminate Sounders From the U.S. Open Cup
- The Timbers And Whitecaps Draw at 1-1
- Timbers v. Earthquakes: Three Things We Learned
- What Is Happening To The Portland Timbers?
- What Portland Timbers Coach Caleb Porter Needs To Do In Year 3
- What Does “Targeted Allocation Money” Mean for the Timbers?
- What To Watch For From The Portland Timbers
- The Portland Timbers’ Guide to the Final Week of MLS
- The Portland Timbers and Why We Love Sports
- The Timbers Dismantle The Sounders
- Timbers Better Buckle Down
- Timbers Draw LA Galaxy 2-2 with 90th Minute Mayhem
- Timbers Cruise Past the Houston Dynamo
- Who Deserves The Captain’s Armband: Timbers v. Earthquakes
- Will Fanendo Adi’s Struggles Doom the Portland Timbers?
- Why The Timbers Won’t Make the 2014 Playoffs
- What Does Signing Lucas Melano Mean for the Portland Timbers?
- VIDEO: Timbers Championship Highlights
- Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes: Three Things To Watch
- Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake: 3 Things We Learned From The Timbers’ 0-0 Draw
- Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake: 3 Things We Learned From The Game
- Trailblazers Lose Dorell Wright For 4-6 Weeks
- NEW: Trailblazers Game Canceled by East Coast Blizzard