Game Preview: Portland Timbers vs. New York Red Bulls
Saturday, September 19, 2015
The Timbers have managed to play well over the last couple of weeks, despite their difficulties finishing chances and settling for disappointing outcomes. If the Timbers continue making big plays, the rest should start to fall into place.
Portland is in good graces this weekend playing at home, where it has lost just once all season. If the Timbers can convert their chances, they should be able to walk away with a win, awarding them three key points.
As for the New York Red Bulls, the Timbers should have their eyes set on the big apple’s star player, leading scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips. Phillips has acquired 2015 tally of 15 goals. Clearly an area the Timbers might deem worrisome.
In the past matches at Providence Park between these two cross-country rivals, all have ended in 3-3 draws.
In order for Portland to win this game, one thing needs to happen. They need to convert on their chances. If the Timbers can manage to finish on their attempts it is more than likely they will walk away from the match with a “W” added to their record.
The Portland Timbers are set to play the New York Red Bulls Sunday at Providence Park at 2 p.m.
Related Slideshow: Timbers v. San Jose in Pictures
Despite a record-setting offensive night from the Timbers, a 3-3 draw was the final result against the visiting San Jose Earthquakes. Here are pictures from the game.
- Timbers Tally Victory In Stoppage Time
- Timbers v. Earthquakes: Three Things We Learned
- Timbers Cruise Past the Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Better Buckle Down
- Timbers Draw LA Galaxy 2-2 with 90th Minute Mayhem
- Timbers Eliminate Sounders From the U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers Look To Control Playoff Destiny
- What To Watch For From The Portland Timbers
- What Portland Timbers Coach Caleb Porter Needs To Do In Year 3