How To Watch Preseason Football
Saturday, August 18, 2018
#1 Do not put much stock in the performance of the team as a whole.
Wins and losses as a team this point are completely irrelevant. So, if you want to have more fun try and pick some people and watch their individual battles. This is what really matters at this point of the year…that and staying healthy of course. But just try not to get caught up in the overall performance of everybody because you will most likely be disappointed.
#2 These games are mostly for evaluating players for roster spots and warming up for the year.
Like I said earlier, this is about individual matchups and evaluating players and schemes for the year. For teams like the Seattle Seahawks there are a lot of starting spots and roster spots open for players to compete for this preseason. These next three games are crucial for players “on the bubble”, which just means they don’t have a guaranteed spot yet like Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner.
#3 These games are going to be sloppily played and officiated.
There are going to be so many young players and players who don’t have chemistry together in these games, that you are going to see some sloppy football. It is almost the first time since last year where the players are actually tackling and hitting people hard. Players are going to have to get used to it again, and so are the officials, because it’s their preseason too.
#4 Just Have Fun.
These are glorified scrimmages with some of the best athletes in the world. Do not take it seriously. I’m not saying it should be joyless, just take everything with a grain of salt in the long run. Grab a drink and some food and enjoy watching the precursor to the 2018 NFL season.
- Review: Nicola Lopéz’s Show Speaks to Contemporary Conflicts
- REAL TIME: NFL Thanksgivng Game Spreads, Lines and Over/Unders
- Seahawks Get Beat in Overtime - See How the Rest of the NFL Performed
- Spotted in Portland: Former NFL Quarterback Tim Tebow
- Super Bowl 50: Denver And Carolina Battle To Be Called NFL’s Best
- Re-Picking the 2015 NFL Draft
- Ranking The Top Prospects in the 2016 NFL Draft
- Pete Carroll is NFL Coach of the Decade
- Political Conflict and Financial Troubles Sink Q Center
- Portland’s 50 Wealthiest and Most Influential
- Projecting The Seattle Seahawks 2016 NFL Draft - Round 1
- Tales of NFL Draft Picks Past: Why Predictions Mean Nothing
- The 10 Dumbest Coaching Decisions in NFL History
- The Seahawks Don’t Need an NFL Wild Card
- The Real Problem: The Militarization of the NFL
- Washington Huskies Riding NFL Draft Success Into Key Position Battles
- Will Jimmy Graham be the Premier Tight end in the NFL that He is Expected to Be?
- Will Tyler Lockett be the Next Big Time Dominate Receiver in the NFL?
- The New NFL Siberia: Playing Guard for the Seattle Seahawks
- The Most Influential First Ladies
- The 10 Most Costly NFL Players Per Snap