Marathon of Madness Tournament Opens Yakima Hockey Season
Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Iron Horse Brewery has been integral in supporting both the Iron Horse Brewery hockey team, as well as YAHA. Each tournament, Iron Horse sends their team with kegs or crates of their beer with only a few simple requests; share their beer with the rest of the teams, take a photo with the Iron Horse Brewery banner, and most importantly - place either first or last in the tournament. In addition to libations, Iron Horse provides the team with jerseys, and last May hosted a pint night at the Iron Horse Pub in Ellensburg with all proceeds benefiting YAHA.
Although Iron Horse Brewery’s contributions are a welcome reprieve to both skaters and the rink alike, they highlight a larger issue in the area - hockey in the Kittitas and Yakima Valley needs all the help it can get. The Yakima Ice Rink is run solely by volunteers and open seven days a week from October until April. This is no small task, as programs include learn to skate, learn to play hockey, youth hockey leagues, and adult hockey leagues. The rink is also open every Friday and Saturday for public skate. All coaching, maintenance, scheduling, and staff are entirely motivated (and compensated) by the love of the game.
Another team in this year’s tournament, the Central Washington University team, is short on both players and funding. While the current roster sits at nine, the bench remains just short to remain competitive for 60 minutes of league play. In addition to roster issues, scheduling remains a constant problem for the CWU squad. Three years ago, the team played 12 games against other schools in the Northwest. Last year, they played six. This year, they’re scheduled for four. Finances undoubtedly play a role, as player dues fund around 80% of the year’s budget. That’s around $500 a guy. Goalie Michael Jeter says the biggest challenges the team faces are roster numbers and the lack of ice in Ellensburg. The team travels to Yakima, 40 miles south, for practice. But word is starting to trickle out about the CWU squad. And it isn’t just anyone showing up. “We are starting to get some quality players,” Jeter said. And the results are beginning to manifest. CWU took first place in both last spring’s Meltdown tournament and last weekend’s Marathon of Madness.
So if you’ve ever thought about giving hockey a shot, or just enjoy skating a few laps with your friends, check out the hard working folks at the Yakima Ice Rink.
The CWU Hockey Team can be found on Facebook.
The Iron Horse Hockey Team can also be found on Facebook.
- Portland Winterhawks Swing Through Alberta With Wins & Injuries
- Portland Winterhawks Take it on the Chin with 2 Losses this Weekend
- Portland Winterhawks Weekend Woes - Playoff Spaces Down to the Wire
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three in a Row
- Portland Winterhawks Split Weekend and Reduce Roster
- Portland Winterhawks Split The Week And Split With Two Players
- Portland Winterhawks Pushing Hard into Second Half of Season
- Portland Winterhawks Riding High on the Road and at Home
- Portland Winterhawks Silence Americans, Go Flightless Versus Thunderbirds
- Portland Winterhawks Soaring to Start the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three In A Row, Caplitalizing On The Power Play
- Portland Winterhawks Wings Clipped in Weekend Games
- Winterhawks Shredded by Everett Silvertips, Bow Out in 1st round
- Winterhawks Split the Weekend & Now Hit the Road
- Winterhawks Whipping Up 8 Straight Wins and Heading to Final Games
- Woes One Week, Highlights the Next for the Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Make Things Interesting, Take Two From Top Rated Kelowna
- Winterhawks Lose in Penalty Shootout to Seattle, Remain Winless
- Portland Winterhawks: “Daylight Classics” Good for Business, Good for Record
- Roller Coaster Ride for the Portland Winterhawks Early in the Season
- The Winterhawks Find Offensive Balance & Defensive Problems in Central Canada
- Portland Winterhawks Preseason Nearing an End, Regular Season Around the Corner
- Portland Winterhawks Picking Up Steam, Go 2 for 3 in this Week’s Action
- Portland Winterhawks Clip Tips, Split with Cougars
- Portland Winterhawks Drop 1st 3 Games of the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Drop Two, Win One, but Stay in Hunt
- Portland Winterhawks End 2014 On A Whimper, But Open New Year With A Bang
- Portland Winterhawks Amass 5-game Win Streak Before Heartbreaking Loss
- Playoff Drive Hits its Peak for Portland Winterhawks
- Down to the Wire, Where do the Portland Winterhawks End the Season?
- Gelling On The Swing: Portland Winterhawks Take 4 Wins in 6 Games
- Is This The Rebuild Year For The Portland Winterhawks?
- Native American Activists Slam Winterhawks Logo As Racist
- Portland Winterhawks Fall to Kelowna: One US Team Left to Battle for Memorial Cup
- Portland Winterhawks Gain Positive Momentum on the Eastern Swing
- Portland Winterhawks Make Changes at The Top
- Portland Winterhawks Making Noise, Captured 3 of 4 Games Last Week
- Portland Winterhawks Need Wake-up Call Before 3rd Period
- Portland Winterhawks Now Atop US Division
- Portland Winterhawks In Playoff Fray…But How Far Will They Go?
- Portland Winterhawks in Crunch Time as Playoffs Loom
- Portland Winterhawks Get Clipped by Tips as Playoff Race Grows Tighter
- Portland Winterhawks Get Stung by the Kelowna Rockets
- Portland Winterhawks Hitting the Stretch Run
- Depleted Lineup Limps to Losses on the Road for the Portland Winterhawks