Portland Winterhawks Get Stung by the Kelowna Rockets
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Less than 24 hours later, the two teams met again with Portland once again taking an early lead. Kelowna, playing its backup goaltender Micheal Herringer, saw Portland tap him for three goals in the first period with Kelowna being blanked in the first frame. However, in eerily similar fashion and following a goaltending change to Jackson Whistle, Kelowna scored four goals in the second period including a shorthanded and power play marker and then added another early in the third to take a two goal lead. Portland would gain one back, but Kelowna would add two more to put the Winterhawks against the wall. Late in the contest, Portland would add a power play goal and pulled Adin Hill for the extra attacker. Kelowna would find a way to the empty net for a rather ugly 8-5 win. Kelowna went 2 for 6 on the power play, Portland went 1 for 3.
Late last week, owing to what is now determined as a season ending injury, Portland moved Carl Erricson to the Injured Reserve list which prevents him from playing this season. With the now open import spot, Portland picked up Rihards Bukarts from the Brandon Wheat Kings for two third round picks. Bukharts is what one would call a "two-spotter", as he is not only an import, but also a 20-year-old player. Bukarts was not available in last week's games due to visa issues, but those were resolved this week which allowed him to suit up for the Winterhawks games against Kelowna.
Bukarts arrival paid dividends as he scored a beautiful goal while Portland was on the power play during the third period and he is expected to line up regularly next to the other Latvian Winterhawk in Rodrigo Abols.
The next few days are silent for the WHL as players from several teams, including Portland's Adin Hill, will be taking part in the Super Series, CHL vs Russia. The WHL players will square off against Russia on November 9 in Kelowna and November 10 in Kamloops. Adin will then join Portland in Tri-City on Wednesday as the Hawks face the Americans before returning home to face Swift Current Broncos in their only appearance in Portland this season. Portland then travels to Vancouver to play the Giants on Saturday. The Hawks won't play again until the following weekend.
Ice Chips: The Winterhawks will be involved in the Portland Winterhawks Booster Club's 3rd Annual Shop with a Hawk on Tuesday, November 17 at a Portland area Fred Meyer. Children identified from Portland's Mill Park Elementary will take part with each having a Winterhawks player take them on a Christmas shopping experience. The event, fully funded by the non-profit Booster Club, runs $3,000 per season.
Starting this Friday, November 13 and until the first period intermission of the December 12 game, the Booster Club will be offering a silent auction for Christmas ornaments that were decorated by Portland Winterhawks players in late October. This annual event is one of the big fundraisers for the club and each individual piece is unique and signed by the individual player (artist). There are also two ornaments that are signed by the entire team on the auction block as well.
Related Slideshow: 5 Sports Teams With Offensive Mascots
Native American activists see the logo of the Portland Winterhawks as offensive and are demanding the team make a change. Here a some other mascots certain people find offensive.
- Portland Winterhawks Take it on the Chin with 2 Losses this Weekend
- Portland Winterhawks Split Weekend and Reduce Roster
- Portland Winterhawks Riding High on the Road and at Home
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three In A Row, Caplitalizing On The Power Play
- Roller Coaster Ride for the Portland Winterhawks Early in the Season
- Winterhawks Whipping Up 8 Straight Wins and Heading to Final Games
- Winterhawks Make Things Interesting, Take Two From Top Rated Kelowna
- Winterhawks Lose in Penalty Shootout to Seattle, Remain Winless
- Portland Winterhawks Preseason Nearing an End, Regular Season Around the Corner
- Portland Winterhawks Now Atop US Division
- Portland Winterhawks Drop 1st 3 Games of the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Amass 5-game Win Streak Before Heartbreaking Loss
- Native American Activists Slam Winterhawks Logo As Racist
- Portland Winterhawks End 2014 On A Whimper, But Open New Year With A Bang
- Portland Winterhawks Fall to Kelowna: One US Team Left to Battle for Memorial Cup
- Portland Winterhawks Making Noise, Captured 3 of 4 Games Last Week
- Portland Winterhawks Hitting the Stretch Run
- Portland Winterhawks Gain Positive Momentum on the Eastern Swing
- Gelling On The Swing: Portland Winterhawks Take 4 Wins in 6 Games