Providence Park Named One of the Best Soccer Stadiums in the World
Thursday, November 12, 2015
“Like wood? You’ll love Providence Park,” the magazine’s review of the stadium reads. “The new eastern stand, built during a significant 2010 refurb of a sports field dating back to 1893, has a gorgeous floating wooden roof; the roof of the classic North End, meanwhile, is supported by beams made from reclaimed ship timbers.”
Providence park also received credit for the stadium’s beautiful North End and Timber Jack, the team’s unique lumberjack mascot.
“The North End is the stadium’s focal point. It is there that the Timbers Army congregate and produce some of the most intricate and beautiful Tifos you will see in North America,” FourFourTwo says. “In front of them, behind the goal, mascot Timber Joey – not a cuddly kids’ character, but a chainsaw-wielding lumberjack – saws off a slice of log to present to each goalscorer.”
The stadium’s ranking also got a shout-out for its lively fan base, known as the Timbers Army, who are known to support their favorite team no matter the conditions on game day.
“It’s hard to get in – almost every game is a sellout, with a 12,000-long waitlist for season tickets – but it’s worth persevering,” the review reads. “Proving the passion this country has for the game, there's almost a cathedral-like feel to Providence Park. When the rain is pelting down (as it often does in the region) and the fans are singing, nothing else matters – and part of that is due to this wonderfully historic building that the Timbers call home.”
The ranking was announced on Thursday as part of FourFourTwo’s reveal of the stadiums ranked 40th through 31st. It was the only American stadium to make that section of the list, coming in behind international stadiums such as Germany’s Veltins Arena (ranked 35th) and South Africa’s Soccer City (ranked 32nd).
Related Slideshow: Timbers v. San Jose in Pictures
Despite a record-setting offensive night from the Timbers, a 3-3 draw was the final result against the visiting San Jose Earthquakes. Here are pictures from the game.
- Timbers Look To Control Playoff Destiny
- Timbers Eliminate Sounders From the U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers One Game Away From Champions League Quarterfinals
- Timbers Record 3rd Consecutive Victory
- Timbers Tally Victory In Stoppage Time
- Timbers Shift Into Playoff Contention
- Timbers Draw LA Galaxy 2-2 with 90th Minute Mayhem
- Timbers Cruise Past the Houston Dynamo
- The Portland Timbers and Why We Love Sports
- Standing (And Flying) with the Timbers Army
- The Portland Timbers’ Guide to the Final Week of MLS
- The Timbers And Whitecaps Draw at 1-1
- Timbers Better Buckle Down
- The Timbers Dismantle The Sounders
- Timbers v. Alpha United: A Chance To Advance
- What Portland Timbers Coach Caleb Porter Needs To Do In Year 3
- What Is Happening To The Portland Timbers?
- What To Watch For From The Portland Timbers
- Who Deserves The Captain’s Armband: Timbers v. Earthquakes
- Will Fanendo Adi’s Struggles Doom the Portland Timbers?
- Why The Timbers Won’t Make the 2014 Playoffs
- What Does “Targeted Allocation Money” Mean for the Timbers?
- What Does Signing Lucas Melano Mean for the Portland Timbers?
- Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake: 3 Things We Learned From The Game
- Timbers v. Earthquakes: Three Things We Learned
- Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake: 3 Things We Learned From The Timbers’ 0-0 Draw
- Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes: Three Things To Watch
- Timbers’ Offensive Firepower Balanced by Defensive Woes
- Spotted In Portland: Patrick Stewart is a Timbers Fan
- Ronaldinho Heading to MLS: Could He Be the Portland Timbers’ New Designated Player?
- How Should the Portland Timbers Use a Healthy Diego Valeri?
- How Could The U.S Men’s National Team Benefit From Portland Timbers’ Darlington Nagbe?
- How They Stand: Portland Timbers Update
- Insult to Injury: Blazers Fall to Lowly Timberwolves
- Numbers to Know: Timbers v. Real Salt Lake
- Jack Jewsbury: Timbers Fans Are Key to Soccer Team’s Success
- Game Preview: Portland Timbers vs. New York Red Bulls
- Five Thoughts On The Timbers’ Schedule
- Blazers Topple Tanking Timberwolves
- Battling Stomach Bug, Blazers Top Timberwolves
- Bumps and Bruises Will Define Portland Timbers’ Early Slate
- Defensive Lapses Doom Timbers
- Diego Valeri’s Back: What does it mean for the Portland Timbers?
- Diego Valeri Steps Up For The Timbers
- PBOT Urges Timbers Fans to Bike, Walk, or Take TriMet to March 7 Game
- PLAYERS GRADED: TIMBERWOLVES 90, BLAZERS 82
- Portland Timbers Switch Up Lineup, Smash Seattle
- Portland Timbers Sign Lucas Melano
- Portland Timbers Unable To Capture Second Victory
- Portland Timbers vs. San Jose Earthquakes: Match Preview
- Portland Timbers: Highlights And Lowlights So Far This Season
- Portland Timbers’ Report Card: Who Excelled and Who Flunked?
- Portland Timbers Pick Up Michael Seaton From D.C. United
- Portland Timbers Just Can’t Seem to Get Out of Their Own Way
- Portland Timbers Draw Opener, Provide Flashes Of Better Things To Come
- Portland Timbers Draw on the Road Against San Jose
- Portland Timbers Fall to the Vancouver Whitecaps
- Portland Timbers Fall To Their Northwest Rivals
- Portland Timbers Hit Rock Bottom In Honduras