Seattle Seahawks Free Agent Targets: Defensive Ends
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Schneider Free Agent Profile: Defensive Ends
Schneider typically will only offer multi-year deals to free agents 26 years old or younger. Those are the players he will try to sign in the first week or two of free agency. He loves finding second-tier guys who do not sign on day one or day two. The hope is that he realizes the Bennett and Avril deals were probably once-in-a-decade steals in an oddly depressed free agent market. If he wants to acquire more pass rush, he will have to stick his nose in there and pay for it.
If the top-line talent is spoken for, he has shown the ability to acquire veteran help late in the offseason like Raheem Brock or Chris Clemons (via trade).
DE/DT Malik Jackson, 26, 6'6" 293 lbs
Malik Jackson is a monster. Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware are credited for creating the Broncos relentless pass rush, but Jackson plays a major role in wreaking havoc, often in the middle of the line.
Jackson is perfect for the Seahawks scheme, as he can play both inside and outside. He will definitely be a first day free agent and command big bucks, so the likelihood that Seattle will stick their nose in there is low. He is the type of player who is definitely worth checking out to see if there is any way to bring him aboard.
DE Olivier Vernon, 25, 6'2" 275 lbs
Vernon is going to be another popular target. He probably goes off the board on day one. Young, and with upside, Vernon had a monster second half of the season. Of his 7.5 sacks, 5.5 came in the final eight games. He benefitted from being opposite Cameron Wake and having Ndamakong Suh in the middle to draw protection priority away, but the production can't be ignored.
Should the market value Irvin similarly to Vernon, the Seahawks may prefer what Vernon brings as a true defensive end. As well as Avril has played, he turns 30 this year, as does Bennett. Adding a young edge rusher makes a lot of sense.
DE/DT Jarvis Jenkins 27, 6'4" 300 lbs
Jenkins has been a late bloomer. Drafted by the Redskins in the second round of the 2011 draft, he totalled just two sacks in his first three seasons. He became one of the more productive interior pass rushers with the Bears this year, gathering 4.0 sacks.
His upside is lower, but the price should be as well. Jenkins is more of a 3-technique defensive tackle for the Seahawks than an end, but he could play the Bennett role at 5-technique as well. Seattle has Jordan Hill and Clark who are young and under contract, but Jenkins could earn a look if the top-shelf players are simply not an option for Seattle.
DE Jason Jones, 29, 6'5" 275 lbs
Jason Jones is an interesting one. He is on the older side, and will not go off the board right away. He is also a proven pass rusher who can be disruptive off the edge and on the interior.
He played for the Seahawks a few seasons back, and was extremely effective when healthy. He has managed to stay on the field the past two seasons in Detroit and racked up 4.5 and 5.0 sacks and bunch of pressures. This is the type of lower-priced veteran who could be a great addition deep in free agency.
Related Slideshow: 12 of the Greatest Sports Movies of All Time
Hank Stern ranks his top twelve favorite sports films.
#8 The Longest Yard
Not the remake with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock. But the hilarious original with Burt Reynolds and Eddie Albert as a wonderfully villainous warden who pits the guards against the inmates in a grudge football game that includes former Green Bay linebacker Ray Nitschke and other ex-football players like Sonny Sixkiller and Joe Kapp, both stalwart Pac-8 quarterbacks long, long ago.
- Seattle Seahawks To Russell Wilson: Here’s To Four More Years
- Seattle Seahawks Shut Out Chicago Bears for First Win of the Season
- Seattle Seahawks Season Review And Awards - What Lies Ahead In 2016
- Seattle Seahawks-The Titantic Wake of Scott McCloughan
- Seattle Seahawks: 2015 Final Act
- Seattle Seahawks: Looming Showdown With Arizona Will Make Or Break Their Season
- Seattle Seahawks: Keys To Victory And A Brutally Cold Playoff History
- Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap
- Seattle Seahawks Marshawn Lynch Finally Receives $75k Media Fine
- Seattle Seahawks Draftland: Where the First Round Doesn’t Matter
- Seattle Seahawks Back-up Defense Showcase Talent in Preseason Games
- Seattle Seahawks Face Criticism Over Draft Pick
- Seattle Seahawks In Search Of Toughness
- Seattle Seahawks Loss Only Makes Them More Likable—It’s An Unwritten Rule In Sports
- Seattle Seahawks Lose Game In Overtime to Cincinnati Bengals
- Seattle Seahawks: Opportunity – And Brutally Cold Weather Await In Minnesota
- Spotted In Portland: Seattle Seahawks’ Richard Sherman
- Three Things The Seattle Seahawks Are Doing Wrong
- The Seattle Seahawks’ Road to Super Bowl 50
- The Seattle Seahawks’ Newest Solution to an Old Problem
- Training Camp is a Must Go for Seattle Seahawks Fans
- WATCH: Seahawks’ Kam Chancellor Forces Game-Saving Fumble
- Why Supporting the Seahawks Out of Solidarity is Wrong
- Which Seattle Seahawks Players Belong On The Team’s Mount Rushmore?
- The Seattle Seahawks Road to a Rematch
- The Seattle Seahawks Look at their Defensive Line Options
- The Grudge Match: Seattle Seahawks at Green Bay Packers
- Ten Facts You Should Know About the Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers
- The Leading Contenders to Replace the Seahawks’ Pro Bowl-Sized Hole
- The New NFL Siberia: Playing Guard for the Seattle Seahawks
- The Seattle Seahawks Are Back In Command
- The Seahawks Don’t Need an NFL Wild Card
- Seattle Seahawks are a Team in Transition
- Seattle Seahawks - The Winter of Our Discontent
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Baltimore Ravens
- He Said / She Said: Chicago Bears at Seattle Seahawks
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Cincinnati Bengals
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Arizona Cardinals
- He Said / She Said: Carolina Panthers at Seattle Seahawks
- Half of Seventeen is Nine: A Look at the Seattle Seahawks Playoff Odds
- Carolina Panthers Vs. Seahawks: What to Watch For
- Game Preview: Seattle Seahawks vs. Detroit Lions
- Game Review: Seattle Seahawks vs. Detroit Lions
- Grand Central’s 12th Man Loaf Celebrates Seahawks’ Super Bowl Appearance
- Game Review: Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Cleveland Browns
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
- Player Profile: Seattle Seahawks WR Rookie Tyler Lockett
- Only One Thing Can Stop a Seattle Seahawks Dynasty in 2015
- On the Bright Side… Thoughts Through Week 6 About the Seahawks
- Red Robin Offering Free Burgers to Seattle Seahawks Fans
- Seahawks Get Beat in Overtime - See How the Rest of the NFL Performed
- Seahawks Vs. Packers: An Improbable Win
- NFC Playoff Picture: Seattle Seahawks Are Officially Back In The Hunt
- New Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham Clicking with Russell Wilson
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks’ Second-Half Outlook
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers
- He Said / She’s Depressed: Seattle Seahawks Season Wrap-Up
- Here We Go Again: Green Bay Packers Visit Seattle Seahawks
- New England Patriots Defeat Seattle Seahawks 28-24 in Super Bowl XLIX
- Kam Chancellor Needs to Honor His Contract with the Seattle Seahawks
- 3 Things to Watch in the Seattle Seahawks’ 1st Preseason Game