slides: Seven Things You Need to Know About URI vs. Oregon in NCAA
Sunday, March 19, 2017
According to USA Today, the Ducks sports program generates over $105 million in revenue. In contrast, URI just $25.5 million.
The two teams have barely ever played each other and the two teams could not be much further apart geographically too - Eugene to Kingston is 3,072 miles apart — almost exactly the same distance from Kingston to Dublin, Ireland (3,042).
On Sunday at 7:10 p.m. the #11 seed University of Rhode Island will look for its second upset when it takes on #3 University of Oregon. The winner goes to the “Sweet Sixteen.”
Here are seven things you need to know about the game.
Related Slideshow: Seven Things You Need to Know About URI vs. Oregon in NCAA
Oregon is Really Good
Ducks finished tied for first in the PAC-12 with a 16-2 conference record and a 30-5 overall record.
Oregon was 17-0 at home, 7-3 away and 6-2 on neutral courts.
Worst loss 61-65 to Georgetown in Maui Tournament in November.
Biggest win 85-58 over Arizona at Eugene in February. The Sun Devils are ranked #4 going into the NCAA tournament.
URI has Been to Sweet 16 Twice Before
Behind the super backcourt of Tommy Garrick and Carlton “Silk” Owens the Rams went to the sweet sixteen in 1988. The #11 seeded Rams first beat #6 seeded Missouri and then knocked off #3 Syracuse — which was loaded with future NBA stars (Derrick Coleman and Rony Seikaly to name a few).
Then the Rams fell to #2 Duke losing 72 to 73. Duke lost in the Final Four to Danny Manning’s Kansas.
The Rams had their most stories run in 1998 as a #8 seed beating #9 seeded Murray State, then #1 ranked Kansas led by Paul Pierce, and then knocked off #13 seed Valparaiso.
Rhody’s run came to an end when they lost a late lead and were beat by Stanford 77 to 79 in the last seconds.
Coaching Match Up
Oregon’s Dana Altman is 85-41 (.675) in seven seasons. And, his overall Overall record is 577–309 (.651). In the NCAA Tournament he is 9–11 and in NIT he is 9–9.
Hurley is 87–73 (.544) at Rhode Island in five seasons and 125-95 overall. He is now 1-0 in the NCAA Tournament.
Altman earns over $2.1 million a year and Hurley will jump to just over $1 Million if he remains at Rhode Island.
URI is RED HOT
The Rams are one of the hottest teams in the country. E.C. Matthews looks more and more like his pre-injury self. Hassan Martin is dominating at both ends of the court, but more importantly staying out of foul trouble. Danny Hurley seems to be finding his coaching voice.
The Rams have won 9 in a row since the embarrassing lost to Fordham at home on Feb. 15. The Rams lost 43-53 and after the game Hurley publicly called out his team.
The Ducks are Deep
The Ducks lost one of their stars a week ago when shot blocker Chris Boucher went down with an ACL tear. But, the Ducks have four others that average 10 or more points. Oregon is led by Dillon Brooks at 16.3 points per game (ppg) and the junior had 18 in the first round against Iona.
Tyler Dorsey averages 13.9 points per game, Jordan Bell averages 10.9 ppg and 8.2 rebounds a game. And guard Dylan Ennis averages 10.8 ppg, 4.4 rebounds and team leading 3.1 assists per game.
- Oregon’s NCAA Tournament Run Ends With Loss to Oklahoma
- Oregon to Play Holy Cross in NCAA Tournament 1st Round
- Oregon State Given 7 Seed in NCAA Tournament
- Oregon Rolls Holy Cross in First Round of NCAA Tournament
- PSU Sacks Sherri Murrell, First Openly Gay NCAA Div 1 Basketball Coach
- The Mega All-Everything 2017 NCAA Tournament Preview
- UO Campus Reacts to NCAA National Championship
- The Number 1 Seeds in The NCAA Tournament
- The Mega, All-Everything 2016 NCAA Tournament Preview
- Oregon Ducks Lose NCAA Football Championship 42-20
- NEW: Oregon Given Number 1 Seed in NCAA Tournament
- Inside the Numbers: The NCAA Final Four Teams
- Holy Cross & Oregon Set for NCAA Tournament Showdown
- Fans React to NCAA National Championship Game
- A Look at the NCAA Tournament Games in Portland
- Let’s Pay College Football Players and Abolish the NCAA
- NCAA East Coast Bias Still Going Strong
- NEW: Meet the Buckeyes Who Will Help Decide the NCAA Championship
- NCAA Tournament Preview: The Quest To Dethrone Kentucky
- NCAA Tournament Portland: Round 2 Preview
- 2017 NCAA Tournament Bracket Set