NEW: Trump to Declare National Emergency to Get More Money for Border Wall
Wednesday, February 13, 2019
Trump is expected to sign compromise spending legislation to avert another government shutdown — and according to the White House, will declare a national emergency for more funding.
As Bloomberg.com reported:
“President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action - including a national emergency - to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement.
“There is no national emergency at the border. Even the President’s intel chiefs say that. No @realDonaldTrump declaration will change that fact,” Congressman David Cicilline Tweeted on Thursday.
University of Virginia Professor of Political Science and regular GoLocal LIVE guest Jennifer Lawless said the following after the announcement.
"Declaring a national emergency for wall funding is the presidential version of a temper tantrum. The circumstances at the border are no worse today than when Trump declared his candidacy. They’re no worse today than when he took office. And they’re no worse today than when he refused to accept to a reasonable deal for border security and opted to shut down the government for 35 days instead," said Lawless.
"The only thing that’s changed is that the president still hasn’t gotten his way. So rather than use the levers of government to craft a meaningful compromise, he’s behaving like a toddler who screams at the store when his parents won’t buy him the Legos he wants. The scary part is that this toddler is the most powerful man on the planet."
- Time’s Person of the Year - Donald Trump
- Sunday Political Brunch: Trump’s First Year Report Card—January 21, 2018
- Sunday Political Brunch: President Trump Had a Roller Coaster Week—November 5, 2017
- Sunday Political Brunch: Is President Trump Undermining Himself?—October 15, 2017
- Trump & Sanders Win Big in New Hampshire
- Trump and North Korea: Expert at Naval War College in Newport Weighs In
- Trump Leads Clinton for 1st Time in General Election Poll
- Trump Names Kavanaugh To United States Supreme Court
- Trump Has Early Lead in Oregon—But Will It Last?
- Trump Campaign Signals Potential Shift on Immigration Stance
- Trump Believes Obama Was Born in U.S.
- Sunday Political Brunch: Is President Trump Getting a Bounce?—September 24, 2017
- Sunday Political Brunch—Will Florida Mark the End of Trump Presidency? - August 20, 2017
- NEW: President Trump Signs Executive Order Ending Family Separation
- NEW: Rolling Stone’s Taibbi Dubs Schilling the “Next Donald Trump”
- NEW: Arrest Reports Released From Nov. 21 Anti-Trump Protest in Portland
- New Poll: Millennials Would Rather Have Meteor Strike Than Vote for Trump or Clinton