Welcome! Login | Register

The Kavanaugh Court Complexities—Sunday Political Brunch September 23, 2018—The Kavanaugh Court Complexities -- Sunday Political Brunch…

Blazers Must Join Jimmy Butler Sweepstakes With Neil Olshey’s Legacy On The Line—Blazers Must Join Jimmy Butler Sweepstakes With Neil…

The Importance Of The Pre-Race Taper—The Importance Of The Pre-Race Taper

Week 3 Pac-12 Football Overreactions—Week 3 Pac-12 Football Overreactions

“Race to the Primary Finish Line” - Sunday Political Brunch September 16, 2018—“Race to the Primary Finish Line” - Sunday…

“A Summer of Political Drama Heads to Fall” - Sunday Political Brunch - September 9, 2018—“A Summer of Political Drama Heads to Fall”…

Remembering my Journeys with Senator McCain—Sunday Political Brunch Sept. 2, 2018—Remembering my Journeys with Senator McCain -- Sunday…

Fit For Life: Dealing With Life’s Issues—Fit For Life: Dealing With Life's Issues

A Week of Political Ups and Downs—Sunday Political Brunch August 26, 2018—A Week of Political Ups and Downs --…

A Topsy-Turvy Week of Political Hodge-Podge - Sunday Political Brunch - August 19, 2018—A Topsy-Turvy Week of Political Hodge-Podge - Sunday…


Social Media: Protesters Clash With Portland Police

Wednesday, November 26, 2014


A number of demonstrators clashed with Portland police Tuesday night after a demonstration spilled onto the city’s freeways and central city bridges.

Demonstrators gathered to protest the decision made the night before by a  Missouri grand jury not indict an officer who shot and killed an unarmed black teenager.

Hundreds of protesters marched through Portland’s downtown Tuesday night, affecting traffic in the city as well as on Interstates 5 and 84. Police also had to momentarily close the Burnside and Morrison bridges.

A demonstration began at Justice Center on Southwest 3rd Avenue at 4 p.m.

After the organized event ended, a separate group broke away and began a second march that wound its way through downtown, then across the Burnside Bridge and onto Southeast Grand Avenue. 

At Southeast Grand Avenue and Oak Street, Jeffrey Martens, 37, of Hillsboro, was punched in the face by a protester while Martens was seated inside his car. The assailant then disappeared into the crowd, according Sgt Pete Simpson of the Portland Police Bureau.

Martens was not seriously injured, police said.

Protesters then marched onto Interstate 5 off the Water Street exit. Protestors threw rocks and bottle at officers, police said.

Officers used pepper spray and the freeway was clear within approximately 10 minutes, according to police. 

Police made seven arrests in all.

By 8 p.m. most of the crowd had dispersed.

Here's how the events unfolded on social media.


Related Articles


Enjoy this post? Share it with others.



Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email