Winterhawks Go Down Fighting This Week
Friday, February 24, 2017
Last week saw the return of team captain Keegan Iverson to the roster after a month on the injured list, and it appeared to invigorate the backcheck skating and defensive posture of his fellow forwards. That Thursday’s game saw the Hawks beat the Kamloops Blazers 4-0 with only one bout for the penalty killing unit, and goaltender Cole Kehler was sufficiently supported to snag a 41-save shutout.
Unfortunately, the momentum was not maintained and the Hawks have had three straight defeats, two of which are significant blows to their playoff hopes. The Seattle Thunderbirds have left the Winterhawks in the dust with a 13-point lead in the rankings and the Tri-City Americans have also emerged as the dark horse contender for the third playoff slot with 75 points to Portland’s 68. The real frustration comes from watching great goaltenders like Kehler and rookie Shane Farkas have to suffer so many more shots on goal than they needed. The little mistakes have started to add up as well, with Portland giving up six powerplay conversions to Seattle in one game. As much as the Hawks need defensive cohesion for skaters, there is a serious issue with consistency in between the pipes. One night, 45 saves. The next game, choppy performances and a failure to hustle.
Credit should be given when it is due: Seattle and Tri-City have gotten serious. Play-offs serious. The Americans have won their last four games, and the Hawks have had trouble with them all season. Seattle, meanwhile, has a knack for drawing penalties during crunchtime and has stepped up their standard for two-way, aggressive play in the last two months.
Headed into March, Portland must hope that the sudden rise of the Americans has not stabilized the US Division rankings too rigidly. If so, Portland is stuck vying for that top wildcard position, which has quite a few suitors like the Vancouver Giants, who shall be the bane of next week as the adversaries of a three-time series. Every game counts from here on in, including games that Portland players aren't even in.
- Portland Winterhawks Swing Through Alberta With Wins & Injuries
- Portland Winterhawks Take it on the Chin with 2 Losses this Weekend
- Portland Winterhawks Weekend Woes - Playoff Spaces Down to the Wire
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three in a Row
- Portland Winterhawks Split Weekend and Reduce Roster
- Portland Winterhawks Split The Week And Split With Two Players
- Portland Winterhawks Pushing Hard into Second Half of Season
- Portland Winterhawks Riding High on the Road and at Home
- Portland Winterhawks Silence Americans, Go Flightless Versus Thunderbirds
- Portland Winterhawks Soaring to Start the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three In A Row, Caplitalizing On The Power Play
- Portland Winterhawks Wings Clipped in Weekend Games
- Winterhawks Shredded by Everett Silvertips, Bow Out in 1st round
- Winterhawks Split the Weekend & Now Hit the Road
- Winterhawks Whipping Up 8 Straight Wins and Heading to Final Games
- Woes One Week, Highlights the Next for the Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Make Things Interesting, Take Two From Top Rated Kelowna
- Winterhawks Lose in Penalty Shootout to Seattle, Remain Winless
- Portland Winterhawks: “Daylight Classics” Good for Business, Good for Record
- Roller Coaster Ride for the Portland Winterhawks Early in the Season
- The Winterhawks Find Offensive Balance & Defensive Problems in Central Canada
- Portland Winterhawks Preseason Nearing an End, Regular Season Around the Corner
- Portland Winterhawks Picking Up Steam, Go 2 for 3 in this Week’s Action
- Portland Winterhawks Clip Tips, Split with Cougars
- Portland Winterhawks Drop 1st 3 Games of the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Drop Two, Win One, but Stay in Hunt
- Portland Winterhawks End 2014 On A Whimper, But Open New Year With A Bang
- Portland Winterhawks Amass 5-game Win Streak Before Heartbreaking Loss
- Playoff Drive Hits its Peak for Portland Winterhawks
- Down to the Wire, Where do the Portland Winterhawks End the Season?
- Gelling On The Swing: Portland Winterhawks Take 4 Wins in 6 Games
- Is This The Rebuild Year For The Portland Winterhawks?
- Native American Activists Slam Winterhawks Logo As Racist
- Portland Winterhawks Fall to Kelowna: One US Team Left to Battle for Memorial Cup
- Portland Winterhawks Gain Positive Momentum on the Eastern Swing
- Portland Winterhawks Make Changes at The Top
- Portland Winterhawks Making Noise, Captured 3 of 4 Games Last Week
- Portland Winterhawks Need Wake-up Call Before 3rd Period
- Portland Winterhawks Now Atop US Division
- Portland Winterhawks In Playoff Fray…But How Far Will They Go?