Winterhawks Secure Playoff Berth, look to Climb Ladder With 6 Games Left
Friday, March 10, 2017
The Hawks were also keeping their eye on another game in the BC Division between the Kamloops Blazers and Victoria Royals who were leading the Winterhawks by five points in the Conference standings. Victoria jumped out to a 2-0 lead but allowed a goal just seconds after scoring their second to end the first, but the spark was in Kamloops' favor. With four more unanswered goals in the next two periods, the Blazers skated away with a 5-2 win.
Portland, meanwhile had a chance to earn their playoff spot as well as take a bite out of the leads of the next two teams lead in the conference those being the idle Tri-City Americans and Victoria Royals who had just lost. Early in the game, Cody Glass and then Skyler McKenzie opened up a 2-0 lead, only to see a regular strength goal and powerplay goal by the Cougars to knot the game at 2 at the end of one period. Less than a minute into period two, an extended powerplay netted the Cougars their first lead of the game. Keegan Iverson netted his 22nd of the year to tie the game to end the second period. Cody Glass with his second of the night and Joachim Blichfeld pocketed a goal each before the midway point of the third to restore the two-goal lead in the game. Less than thirty seconds later, Colby McAuley scored for Prince George, but the Cougars could get no closer as the Hawks won a tough, hard fought, 5-4 victory.
With Spokane now officially eliminated, Portland sets its sights on the Americans and Royals with just six games left in the season and a three-point deficit. The Hawks can do no worse than eighth place and could end as high as sixth depending on how the two teams ahead of them do in the next week of games. The regular season will end on Sunday, March 19.
Portland will officially start on the road to start the playoffs on the weekend of March 24 and 25 in one of three potential cities and would look to have home games on March 28 and 29 if the schedule holds true as in previous years. Everett holds down top spot in the conference, one point up on Seattle and two points on Prince George with the Cougars having just four games remaining having played one more than Seattle and three more than Everett.
Portland has two games left against Spokane, one on the road this weekend and one at home to end the season that will be only games left where they will play a team with a lower record than them. It's playoff hockey mode now and the Hawks are in them again, a streak that started in 2009-10.
- Portland Winterhawks Take it on the Chin with 2 Losses this Weekend
- Portland Winterhawks Weekend Woes - Playoff Spaces Down to the Wire
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three in a Row
- Portland Winterhawks Win Three In A Row, Caplitalizing On The Power Play
- Portland Winterhawks Swing Through Alberta With Wins & Injuries
- Portland Winterhawks Split Weekend and Reduce Roster
- Portland Winterhawks Riding High on the Road and at Home
- Portland Winterhawks Silence Americans, Go Flightless Versus Thunderbirds
- Portland Winterhawks Soaring to Start the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Split The Week And Split With Two Players
- Portland Winterhawks Wings Clipped in Weekend Games
- Portland Winterhawks: “Daylight Classics” Good for Business, Good for Record
- Winterhawks Split the Weekend & Now Hit the Road
- Winterhawks Swoop Down on Giants, Playoff Spot Looms
- Winterhawks Whipping Up 8 Straight Wins and Heading to Final Games
- Woes One Week, Highlights the Next for the Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Shredded by Everett Silvertips, Bow Out in 1st round
- Winterhawks Make Things Interesting, Take Two From Top Rated Kelowna
- Roller Coaster Ride for the Portland Winterhawks Early in the Season
- The Winterhawks Find Offensive Balance & Defensive Problems in Central Canada
- Winterhawks Lose in Penalty Shootout to Seattle, Remain Winless
- Portland Winterhawks Pushing Hard into Second Half of Season
- Portland Winterhawks Preseason Nearing an End, Regular Season Around the Corner
- Portland Winterhawks Clip Tips, Split with Cougars
- Portland Winterhawks Drop 1st 3 Games of the Season
- Portland Winterhawks Drop Two, Win One, but Stay in Hunt
- Portland Winterhawks End 2014 On A Whimper, But Open New Year With A Bang
- Portland Winterhawks Amass 5-game Win Streak Before Heartbreaking Loss
- Playoff Drive Hits its Peak for Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Go Down Fighting This Week
- Down to the Wire, Where do the Portland Winterhawks End the Season?
- Gelling On The Swing: Portland Winterhawks Take 4 Wins in 6 Games
- Is This The Rebuild Year For The Portland Winterhawks?
- Native American Activists Slam Winterhawks Logo As Racist
- Portland Winterhawks Fall to Kelowna: One US Team Left to Battle for Memorial Cup
- Portland Winterhawks Gain Positive Momentum on the Eastern Swing
- Portland Winterhawks Making Noise, Captured 3 of 4 Games Last Week
- Portland Winterhawks Need Wake-up Call Before 3rd Period
- Portland Winterhawks Now Atop US Division