video: VIDEO: Brown University Student Trashes American Flags
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
The video above was taken by Brown University student Nicky Strada, showing an unnamed student crumpling up and trashing American flags. It has since garnered over 17,000 views.
The flags had been placed on campus for Brown's November 11 Veterans' Day event.
Strada posted the video along with the following statement in a public post on his Facebook page after the incident, on November 10:
Today was a sad day...Hundreds of flags were set up on the main green of Brown University by 2 VETERANS in honor of Veterans Day tomorrow, and when i got out of class, people had snapped them, ripped them, and threw them aside (in the video).
I spent 1.5 hours outside taping them back together and putting all of them back in the ground, with a few confrontations. Only 2 people out of hundreds of people that passed by stopped to help. One person actually stomped on and snapped all of the ones I put back and when i asked her to stop and explained that they were for Veterans Day she said "I don't care about that". Always stand up for what you believe even if you have 6 thousand people against you and [sic] dont step on my flag.
SLIDESHOW: Rhode Island's Best Communities 2016
- Protesters Take Issue With “Having Enough Police Matters” Campaign
- NEW: Westboro Baptist Church Plans Anti-Gay Protests in Portland for Jan.
- NEW: Protest Shuts Down Ron Wyden’s Portland Town Hall
- PSU Students Plan Protest for Board of Trustees Meeting
- PSU Students Protest Giving Guns to Campus Police
- Violent Protests Break Out at Trump Rally in San Jose
- Social Media: Protesters Clash With Portland Police
- Release of Police Horses Not Part of Protests
- NEW: Portland Taxis Converge on Pioneer Square to Protest Uber
- NEW: #DontShootPDX to protest Portland Police Association for NYPD Shooting Statement
- Protesters to Mayor: We Didn’t Block Any Bridges or Roads
- Don’t Shoot Portland Distances Themselves from “Dead Cops” Caroling Protest
- Don’t Shoot Portland Protesters Flood Mayor’s Office
- Activists Plan Protest of ODOT Sweeps
- Activists Dangle From St. Johns Bridge to Protest Shell Oil
- Four Arrested During Portland Demolition Protest
- Mayor Hales: Police Will Continue to Keep Protestors from Blocking Streets
- Man Shot at Trump Protest on the Morrison Bridge - Suspect Fled
- Greenpeace Protesters: 15 People Who Made a Difference in 2015
- 71 People Arrested During Anti-Trump Protest in Portland