Fecteau: Tweets and Transgender Rights
Friday, July 28, 2017
The transgender ban appears no different than the obsolete ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy that was eventually revoked by President Barack Obama. The ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy was harmful in the fact it simply discriminated against those that were qualified for the job, but could not serve openly because of their sexual preference. If they were outed while serving, these individuals faced discharge, sometimes other than honorable, from the military.
Mr. Trump’s transgender ban hurts military readiness by discriminating against those most capable of serving, but considered unfit to serve because they are questioning their gender identity. As a veteran, I want the best and the brightest to serve in our Armed Forces for our protection, and simply don’t care about gender identity; that is a red herring. This is not that difficult to understand, but for someone such as Mr. Trump who received five draft deferments during the Vietnam War, it can be a little difficult.
This transgender ban was unfair to our military leadership. It was completely blindsided by Mr. Trump’s disregard for those who currently are serving as transgender individuals. Instead of carefully crafted verbiage, methodically produced, Mr. Trump created a great deal of uncertainty and confusion within the ranks of the military. For the last couple years, the military was tediously producing doctrine to accommodate members of the transgender community and become a stronger, more diverse organization.
At the moment, in an ambiguous, callous Tweet, Mr. Trump has become a dire threat to this progress. Our military at present has to reverse course on an inclusive policy of diversity and acceptance all because of a draft dodging, billionaire commander-in-chief that appears more interested in division than acceptance.
The transgender ban is especially unfair to those transgender service members still serving. No one knows their future — including military leadership; it isn’t quite clear about how the military should deal with them. For those questioning their gender identity in the military, they must feel betrayed by the system and more importantly, by their commander-in-chief – a man who promised to be their friend.
Mr. Trump has been a complete disappointment as our commander-in-chief, and with each passing day, that disappointment has turned into utter disgust with unfortunate, regressive policies such as this that harm military readiness. The forthcoming transgender ban is a backward policy that needlessly discriminates against those serving while making us just that much weaker as a country, and military. Our military deserves the best, most qualified recruits available; this discriminatory policy ensures the opposite.
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s Big Business Boondoggle
- Fecteau: Trump’s a Nuclear Nihilist
- Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
- Fecteau: The Futile Anti-Trump Protests
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Matt Fecteau: Dear Trump Supporters, This isn’t a Reality TV Show
- Fecteau: What is Going on Between Trump and Russia?
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: That Red Line in Syria
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Clinton Should Participate in a Recount
- Fecteau: Chafee’s Wrong on Russia
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: Dire Choices on Syria
- Fecteau: Obama Made the Right Call on the Israeli Settlements
- Fecteau: Obama Strikes Back, but Too Little, too Late?
- Fecteau: Is Obama or Bush to blame for the Rise of Islamic State?
- Fecteau: I Think Trump’s Crazy Too
- Fecteau: Healthcare Bill from Hell
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria