Portland Fire and Rescue Save Dog from Willamette River
Monday, December 14, 2015
Rescue crews responded calls on Saturday afternoon of a dog trapped along the west bank of the Wilammete River. The dog was initially spotted by a passing boat, who’s crew noticed the dog was in distress.
A truck company responded but could not reach the dog because of the steep and dangerous terrain surrounding the river bank.
Firefighter Gary Grey eventually was able to coax the dog off a small ledge along the river bank and onto a rescue boat. the dog was wet and cold but otherwise healthy and in good spirits.
The dog was released to animal control after arriving back on land.
Related Slideshow: Slideshow: 5 Tips For Surviving Dog Attacks
Pit bull breeds accounted for 78 percent of fatal dog attacks last year. GoLocalPDX outlines five things to know about surviving pit bull attacks recommended by Multnomah County Animal Control.
2) Protect Yourself
Attempt to place anything you have, such as a jacket or backpack, between yourself and the attacking dog. Keep your arms and hands near your body, making it harder for the animal to reach out and bite you. Also, turn your hands into fists to protect your fingers. If you can, curl up in the fetal position.
3) Choke The Dog
If a dog cannot breathe or is choking, it will probably stop biting you. If a dog is attacking you, try to ram either an object or your hand down its throat as far as you can to make it gag. Also, try to put pressure against the animal’s throat and windpipe.
5) Report The Incident
Even if you receive no serious injuries, it is best to let the authorities know about a dangerous or menacing dog. It may only injure someone worse in the future. Contact animal control services, such as Multnomah County Animal Control.
- Tour de Lab: Portland’s Quirky Gone-to-the-Dogs Ride for a Cause
- Vancouver Becomes Doggy Wonderland This Weekend
- Who’s Hot and Who’s Not in Oregon Politics: Steve Novick, Reservoir Dogs, Working Class Oregonians
- Woman Arrested for Stealing a Dog
- Tour de Lab Bike Marathon Ignites Local Dog Lovers and Puns
- Pooches Make A Splash At Doggie Paddle
- Fleeing Suspect Nearly Strangles Salem Police Dog
- History of Insider Dealings Dogs Alberta St. Developer
- New Portland Restaurant Hop Dog Gives Free Dogs for Hot Dog Day
- 5 Things To Do During A Dog Attack