Fecteau: Moore Madness From Trump
Saturday, November 25, 2017
Amidst mounting allegations against Moore, Mr. Trump -- in all his infinite wisdom -- has toyed with potentially backing Mr. Moore in the special election against Democrat Doug Jones. This comes at the same time that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is contemplating triggering another special election to prevent Moore from claiming victory and establishment Republicans are running from him.
Trump has some odd reasoning for said support. He has stated that Mr. Jones is weak on crime. Looking at Mr. Jones’s background, this is far from true. As a United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama, Mr. Jones secured a number of indictments against KKK members and investigated other hate crimes in Alabama. This is poor optics again for Mr. Trump, a man that has failed to condemn white supremacists in the past and has even said they are “very fine people.”
It’s clear that Mr. Trump’s reasons for backing Mr. Moore are mostly partisan. Mr. Trump said that he doesn’t want a Democrat to take the seat. But we need to ask, how much further can we lower the bar? New York Times opinion columnist Thomas Friedman called the election of President Donald Trump a moral 9/11 in the face of Mr. Trump disgraceful behavior. If that was the case, this current election in Alabama is the equivalent of a moral nuclear explosion.
If this was a Democrat, regardless of his or her position, I would immediately retract any respective support for them. It is not only the right thing but also better for the party as a whole. If any democrat supported a person such as Mr. Moore, I would have difficulty supporting them going forward as well – just that simple.
For the good of Alabama and our country, the voters need to reject Moore this coming special election. This not just about an election; it is about human decency. Mr. Trump’s support for Moore is just madness.
- Matt Fecteau: Dear Trump Supporters, This isn’t a Reality TV Show
- Fecteau: Trump’s Big Business Boondoggle
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s a Nuclear Nihilist
- Fecteau: Trump vs. the NFL
- Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
- Fecteau: The Futile Anti-Trump Protests
- Fecteau: The Name Game in Charlottesville
- Fecteau: Trump Goes Obama-Lite in Afghanistan
- Fecteau: Trump’s Nuke Bluff Backfired
- Fecteau: Trump’s Pivot
- Fecteau: What is Going on Between Trump and Russia?
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Rhetoric Help Rein in Gun Violence?
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Fecteau: Tweets and Transgender Rights
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Clinton Should Participate in a Recount
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: Dear Mr. Trump, Decertify This
- Fecteau: Chaos in The White House
- Fecteau: Chafee’s Wrong on Russia
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria