Muhammad Ali Passes Away at 74
Saturday, June 04, 2016
Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's syndrome in 1984, a disease that commonly results from head trauma from actives like boxing. Ali's condition gradually worsened over time, with no better example coming then in 2012 when he was a titular bearer of the Olympic Flag during the opening ceremonies in London.
Ali had to be helped to his feet by his wife Lonnie and had to stand before the flag as he was unable to carry it into the stadium.
The Greatest of All Time
Inside the ring, Ali was 22-3 all-time in title fights and 56-5 overall with 37 knockouts.
Ali won the World Heavyweight Championship for the first time at the age of 22 when he defeated Sonny Liston in 1964.
Ali fought Joe Frazier in the "Fight of the Century" at Madison Square Garden in New York in 1971. The fight was broadcast to 35 foreign countries and 760 press passes were granted.
Ali lost that fight to Frazier but would win the next two, including the the "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975 which was fought in temperatures near 100 degrees in Manila.
Watch the Fight Below
Prior to his rematch with Frazier, Ali defeated George Foreman in "the Rumble in the Jungle" in 1974, regaining the Heavyweight Title.
See the Fight Below
For more on Muhammed Ali and Parkinson's disease, GoLocal teams with Graphiq
- Prescription Drugs Found With Prince at Time of His Death
- Report Calls For 21 Changes in Wake of Portland Police Shootings, In-Custody Deaths
- Portland Police Respond to 4 Suicide Calls; None Result in Deaths
- Portland Man Lights Himself on Fire – Near Death
- Portland Climber’s Death Prompts Outpouring of Support on Social Media
- Portland Community Leaders React to Steven Fritz’s Death
- Roundhouse Puts PDX Donuts to the Test with #DonutDeathMatch
- Scott Bruun: Death and Taxes in Oregon
- The Life and Death of an NFL Rivalry
- Woodburn Police Investigating Death of 6-year-old Boy
- The Disconnect Between Gun Deaths and Mental Health
- Suspicious Death of Hazelwood Couple Being Investigated as Homicide
- States Ranked by the Highest Number of Death Row Inmates
- Suicide: Leading Cause of Death for Oregonians 15 to 54 Years Old
- Police Investigating Possible Drug Overdose Death of Portland State Football Player
- Police Investigating Death of Newborn in Southeast Portland
- Horowitz: Scalia’s Death Ripples Through Presidential Race
- ISIS Claims Responsibility for Death of Nearly 130 People in Syria
- Fecteau: Until We Act on Gun Violence, Expect More Ungodly Death
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: The Death of Table Manners
- Death Rates for Middle Aged Whites In America on Rise
- Didi’s Manners & Etiquette: Death of the Gentleman
- Monday Afternoon Accident Results in Death of 10-Year-Old Boy
- Police Find Husband’s Remains in Death Investigation of Warm Springs Woman
- Police Investigate Death Along Southeast Railroad Tracks
- Police Conduct Death Investigation After Body Found in Illinois River
- Oregon Has the 20th Most Prison Deaths in Country
- Nintendo President Satoru Iwata’s Death and Impact on the Gaming World
- Amanda Fritz Issues Statement on Lawsuit on Death of Her Husband