Portland Featured in New Children’s Book “50 Cities of the U.S.A.”
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Portland is prominently featured in a new children’s book titled “50 Cities of the U.S.A.”
The book shares what is best about Portland including downtown Portland, Portland events and attractions and more.
The book also shows kids what to do in Portland.
Featured events and activities include:
- 9 A.M. Head to Besaw’s for breakfast—it’s be a Portland institution since 1903. Try the huevos rancheros or the garlicky farmer’s hash.
- 10 A.M. Fill up your reusable water bottle before heading out—this city is serious about recycling and being green.
- 11 A.M. Look for the Portland Penny at the Historical Society—it's the one the city's co-founders flipped to determine the city’s name!
- 12 P.M. See if you can beat Nike co-founder Phil Knight's 4-minute, 10 second mile...in a pair of new sneaks, of course!
- 1 P.M. Hit up a food cart for chow on the go...we suggest tracking down some Peruvian-style chicken topped with a fried egg.
- 2 P.M. Find a quiet spot to read from Portland resident Ursula Le Guin's award-winning fantasy book A Wizard of Earthsea.
- 3 P.M. Sing along to a song by one of many local bands, whether you go punk like Sleater-Kinney or soft like the Decemberists is your choice.
- 4 P.M. March across all 12 of the bridges that cross Willamette River. Start with the Hawthorne Bridge since it was built first.
- 5 P.M. Take a fully-clothed bike ride through Irvington, unlike the thousands of cyclists who strip off each year for the World Naked Bike Ride!
- 6 P.M. Zip down the slides in a playground near the Beverly Clearly Sculpture Garden in Grant Park. This is where her characters Beezus and Henry waxed the slides to make them go faster!
- 7 P.M. Whether you like it smoked or sushied, salmon is the must-have fish for all Portland suppers.
- 8 P.M. Before you leave town be sure to take a picture of your feet on the new carpet at Portland Airport...how does it compare to the original, which was a famous local icon?
- Portland Threads: Urban Spring Looks
- Portland Threads: Vintage & Thrift
- Portland Threads: The Unseen Photos
- Portland Threads: The Long Overcoat
- Portland Threads: The Best of Portland Threads 2014
- Portland Threads: The Coat and Scarf Combo
- Portland Threads: Winter Weather Dressing
- Portland Thunder Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Already Reshaping Roster for 2016
- Portland Timbers Draw on the Road Against San Jose
- Portland Thunder’s Perez Ashford: Personal Protector Extraordinaire
- Portland Thunder’s Michael Braunstein: Just Kickin’ It in the AFL
- Portland Thunder WR Duane Brooks Named AFL Playmaker of the Year
- Portland Threads: Sunny Spring Days
- Portland Threads: Step Back in All Black
- Portland Threads: Maxi Dresses and Boho Beauties
- Portland Threads: Mosh Posh of PDX Street Style
- Portland Threads: Light and Dark
- Portland Threads: Keeping It Casual
- Portland Threads: It’s Beginning to Feel Like Summer
- Portland Threads: New Year’s Resolutions?
- Portland Threads: Oversized Silhouettes
- Portland Threads: Revamping ‘90s Staples
- Portland Threads: Simple, Solid, and Structured
- Portland Threads: Portland Fashion and Style Awards
- Portland Threads: Playing With Prints
- Portland Threads: Patterned Scarves and Pants
- Portland Timbers Draw Opener, Provide Flashes Of Better Things To Come
- Portland Timbers Drop 3rd Straight as Injuries Continue to Mount
- Portland To Be Well Represented At Cannes Film Festival
- Portland to Host 2016 LGBT World Cup
- Portland Timbers: Highlights And Lowlights So Far This Season
- Portland Timbers’ Title Run Keyed by Depth, Defense
- Portland Timbers Western Conference Finals Preview – Will Johnson’s Final Stand?
- Portland Timbers’ Report Card: Who Excelled and Who Flunked?