Seattle Seahawks Loss Only Makes Them More Likable—It’s An Unwritten Rule In Sports
Monday, January 25, 2016
Can’t stand the Charlotte Hornets either.
And the Colorado Buffaloes … the next day I root for them will be the first.
How often have you heard any of those statements? I’m guessing never to nearly never, and I’m suggesting the reason for such is their propensity – or lack thereof – to win anything of note since MTV quit playing music videos. But the Seattle Seahawks have been winning, and due primarily to that success made a lot of local and national fans of the professional game, happy to see them unceremoniously removed from this year’s NFL playoffs.
People love a winner, but equally appealing to fans of sport is the eventual fall of that same winner. With Seattle’s most recent success, the “12’s” went from “great fans” to “annoying.” Russell Wilson went from a “hardworking overachiever,” to a “quarterback diva.” And Marshawn Lynch, from a “hardnose throwback,” to a “greedy thug.” For the most part, the same people responsible for the Seahawks rise, but due to one Super Bowl Championship and near miss a year later, many of the same people who enjoyed their rise to the top, have bemoaned their success and reveled in their fall from grace last Sunday at Carolina.
Why is that? Seriously, I’m interested.
Seahawks fans aren’t any worse than any other fan base experiencing success. Sure, there’s a minority segment of fans overzealous in their efforts to celebrate their winning ways, but aren’t those the same fans that hadn’t experienced a Super Bowl Championship in the history of the franchise? And yes, there’s definitely a bandwagon portion of that same Seahawk fan base that couldn’t tell you a thing about the team prior to Russell Wilson’s arrival. But show me a winner and I’ll show you that same minority segment of their fan base as well.
There’s a reason people hate the Dallas Cowboys. A reason people hate the New York Yankees. And a reason some people around here hate the Oregon Ducks. It’s because they win, and their teams don’t. People love a winner, right up to the point where that same winner makes them feel less about themselves and their teams.
I’m not saying you can’t hate the Seahawks, after all, an opinion is a right protected by the laws of common sense. But I am suggesting that you back that argument with reason beyond, “their fans are annoying,” “they think they’re hot s**t,” or “they’ve got a bunch of bandwagoners,” because that’s the same stuff bitter and jealous people say about every other successful stalwart of sport. All of the aforementioned complaints – while likely true to an extent – could and usually is said about every other team good enough to win at a level capable of creating such angst.
Fans of the Jacksonville Jaguars would be all of that, if they won.
Fans of the Charlotte Hornets would be all of that, if they won.
And Colorado Buffalo fans would be all of that, if they won.
But none of them are winning, so by the same logic they’re great organizations and their fans deserve the utmost respect.
Until they win.
You want to hate the Seahawks, then hate the Seahawks, but when your team wins, your school dominates its rival, or your “guy” finishes on top, remember to apply that same standard to you and your team in the wake of said success. Because logic is logic, even when you’re staring that same winner in the mirror.
Related Slideshow: 12 of the Greatest Sports Movies of All Time
Hank Stern ranks his top twelve favorite sports films.
#8 The Longest Yard
Not the remake with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock. But the hilarious original with Burt Reynolds and Eddie Albert as a wonderfully villainous warden who pits the guards against the inmates in a grudge football game that includes former Green Bay linebacker Ray Nitschke and other ex-football players like Sonny Sixkiller and Joe Kapp, both stalwart Pac-8 quarterbacks long, long ago.
- Seattle Seahawks-The Titantic Wake of Scott McCloughan
- Seattle Seahawks To Russell Wilson: Here’s To Four More Years
- Seattle Seahawks Shut Out Chicago Bears for First Win of the Season
- Seattle Seahawks: 2015 Final Act
- Seattle Seahawks: Keys To Victory And A Brutally Cold Playoff History
- Seattle Seahawks: Opportunity – And Brutally Cold Weather Await In Minnesota
- Seattle Seahawks: Looming Showdown With Arizona Will Make Or Break Their Season
- Seattle Seahawks Season Review And Awards - What Lies Ahead In 2016
- Seattle Seahawks Salary Cap
- Seattle Seahawks Back-up Defense Showcase Talent in Preseason Games
- Seattle Seahawks are a Team in Transition
- Seattle Seahawks Draftland: Where the First Round Doesn’t Matter
- Seattle Seahawks Face Criticism Over Draft Pick
- Seattle Seahawks Marshawn Lynch Finally Receives $75k Media Fine
- Seattle Seahawks Lose Game In Overtime to Cincinnati Bengals
- Spotted In Portland: Seattle Seahawks’ Richard Sherman
- Ten Facts You Should Know About the Seattle Seahawks and Carolina Panthers
- Three Things The Seattle Seahawks Are Doing Wrong
- The Seattle Seahawks’ Road to Super Bowl 50
- Training Camp is a Must Go for Seattle Seahawks Fans
- WATCH: Seahawks’ Kam Chancellor Forces Game-Saving Fumble
- Why Supporting the Seahawks Out of Solidarity is Wrong
- Which Seattle Seahawks Players Belong On The Team’s Mount Rushmore?
- The Seattle Seahawks’ Newest Solution to an Old Problem
- The Seattle Seahawks Road to a Rematch
- The Leading Contenders to Replace the Seahawks’ Pro Bowl-Sized Hole
- The Grudge Match: Seattle Seahawks at Green Bay Packers
- The New NFL Siberia: Playing Guard for the Seattle Seahawks
- The Seahawks Don’t Need an NFL Wild Card
- The Seattle Seahawks Look at their Defensive Line Options
- The Seattle Seahawks Are Back In Command
- Seattle Seahawks - The Winter of Our Discontent
- Seahawks Vs. Packers: An Improbable Win
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Baltimore Ravens
- He Said / She Said: Chicago Bears at Seattle Seahawks
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Cincinnati Bengals
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Arizona Cardinals
- He Said / She Said: Carolina Panthers at Seattle Seahawks
- Half of Seventeen is Nine: A Look at the Seattle Seahawks Playoff Odds
- Carolina Panthers Vs. Seahawks: What to Watch For
- Game Preview: Seattle Seahawks vs. Detroit Lions
- Game Review: Seattle Seahawks vs. Detroit Lions
- Grand Central’s 12th Man Loaf Celebrates Seahawks’ Super Bowl Appearance
- Game Review: Seattle Seahawks vs. Green Bay Packers
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Cleveland Browns
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
- Only One Thing Can Stop a Seattle Seahawks Dynasty in 2015
- On the Bright Side… Thoughts Through Week 6 About the Seahawks
- Player Profile: Seattle Seahawks WR Rookie Tyler Lockett
- Red Robin Offering Free Burgers to Seattle Seahawks Fans
- Seahawks Get Beat in Overtime - See How the Rest of the NFL Performed
- NFC Playoff Picture: Seattle Seahawks Are Officially Back In The Hunt
- New Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham Clicking with Russell Wilson
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks’ Second-Half Outlook
- He Said / She Said: Seattle Seahawks vs. San Francisco 49ers
- He Said / She’s Depressed: Seattle Seahawks Season Wrap-Up
- Here We Go Again: Green Bay Packers Visit Seattle Seahawks
- New England Patriots Defeat Seattle Seahawks 28-24 in Super Bowl XLIX
- Kam Chancellor Needs to Honor His Contract with the Seattle Seahawks
- 3 Things to Watch in the Seattle Seahawks’ 1st Preseason Game