Man Arrested After Blowing up Fireworks in Northeast Portland
Monday, April 03, 2017
Nicholas Lee Burtner, 24, was charged of Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Fourth Degree.
He will be arraigned on Tuesday.
On Monday April 3, at 12:14 a.m., North Precinct officers responded to a report of gunfire in the area of Northeast 152nd Avenue and Beech Court. Officers arrived in the area and heard a loud "bang" coming from the area of a nearby home on Beech Court and saw an explosion next to one of the arriving patrol cars as well as an explosion in the back yard of the home.
As officers began establishing containment around the home and checked for evidence of gunfire and victims, a man walked out of the home and was contacted by officers.
The man, later identified as Burtner, appeared under the influence of intoxicants and was unable to provide information to officers. The officer noted several "Roman Candle" firework cylinders and a roll of partially burned paper towels along the side of the house.
Officers conducted a welfare check inside the home to determine if there were any victims and located the house in complete disarray and observed several firearms, bullets, evidence of gunfire, and a large quantity of pills believed to be benzodiazepine, commonly known as the prescription drug Xanax. Officers also located evidence of butane hash oil (BHO) manufacturing in the home.
Officers spoke with other residents of the home and learned that Burtner was acting erratically, was armed with a gun and was shooting off fireworks. No gunshot victims or injured parties were located in the home.
Portland Fire & Rescue responded and assisted with the scene to make sure there were no dangerous chemicals or risk of fire remaining at the home.
The firearms and pills were seized as part of an ongoing investigation into drug activity.
- Portland Police Release Personal Photos From Stolen Camera
- Portland Police Reach Out to Sexual Assault Victims With Video Promoting the Rose Project
- Portland Police Providing Extra Patrols Near Houses of Worship
- Portland Police Release Photos of Stabbing Suspect
- Portland Police Release Video of Robbery, Assault at Southeast Portland Bar
- Portland Police Search for Northside Homicide Suspect
- Portland Police Respond to 4 Suicide Calls; None Result in Deaths
- Portland Police Resist Medical Examiner’s Involvement in Officer-Involved Shooting Investigations
- Portland Police Officer Injured Responding to Disturbance Call
- Portland Police Officer Assaulted While Arresting Flasher
- Portland Police Investigating Lewis and Clark Assault As A Hate Crime
- Portland Police Identify Victim & Suspect in Fatal Gentleman’s Club Stabbing
- Portland Police Dog Finds 15 Pounds of Methamphetamine —Valued Between $150k and $240K
- Portland Police Investigating Multiple Overnight Shootings
- Portland Police Investigating North Portland Shooting
- Portland Police Officer Arrested for DUI After Crash
- Portland Police Make 5 Arrests, Seize 4 Guns in Brentwood Park
- Portland Police Searching for Gunman Who Shot Moving Truck
- Portland Police Searching for Missing 2-Year-Old Boy
- Report Calls For 21 Changes in Wake of Portland Police Shootings, In-Custody Deaths
- Possible Murder in Lent’s Neighborhood Being Investigated by Portland Police
- Portland Police Warn of Active Phone Scam in Portland
- Social Media: Protesters Clash With Portland Police
- Tensions Persist Between Portland Police and the African-American Community
- UPDATED: Portland Police Search for Missing 10-Year-Old Boy
- UPDATED: Portland Police Make Arrest in High School Shooting Case
- Updated: Portland Police Chase Car of Washington Murder Suspect, Lose Him
- Portland Police to Host Prescription Drug Turn in Event on April 30
- Portland Police to Allow Public Nudity at World Naked Bike Ride
- Portland Police Seek Public’s Help Finding Victims of Sex Offender
- Portland Police Seek Help in Unsolved Homicide Case